Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New schools spearhead $41.1 billion capital programme

Budget 2019: New schools spearhead $41.1 billion capital programme

By Paul McBeth

May 30 (BusinessDesk) - The government has put education front and centre of a $41.1 billion capital spending programme over the next five years, with plans to build and upgrade schools to accommodate the nation’s growing population.

The 2019 Budget has allocated $5 billion of capital spending for education over the five-year horizon eclipsing heavy spends in the usual suspects of defence and transport.

That replaces the government’s Kiwibuild housing programme, which has failed to fire and was last year’s cornerstone of capital investment.

The first wave of education spending includes a $286.8 million allocation for three new schools, four new expansions, and extra classrooms to cater to almost 6,000 students, and Education Minister Chris Hipkins has another $913.3 million to plan for growth over the next decade.

“This is the largest ever investment in school property by a New Zealand government,” Hipkins said.

“This programme will give certainty to schools, communities and the construction sector. It will streamline procurement processes, giving taxpayers more value for money.”

The government has been at pains to say it’s had to direct a lot of investment into bringing ageing and obsolete infrastructure up to scratch, and Finance Minister Grant Robertson today raised the Crown’s four-year capital allowance by $1.7 billion to $14.8 billion.

“These investments will provide certainty to businesses, particularly in the construction sector, that we are investing in and stimulating the economy,” he said.

Of that $14.8 billion, it’s allocated $10.4 billion and has another $4.4 billion to allocate over the next three years.

The government’s fiscal strategy said its investment will support near-term economic growth in the face of global headwinds. The fiscal impulse is expected to be 1.1 percent for the current financial year, about half the 2.2 percent predicted in the half-year update. From 2020, government spending is seen having a contractionary effect.

This year’s budget is the first where a multi-year allowance has been used for capital investments, and when combined with the new Infrastructure Commission, aims to bring greater certainty to the construction sector.

The building industry has been struggling with tight margins, despite a boom, leading to the collapse of several firms such as Arrow International and Ebert Construction. Even Fletcher Building’s vertical business was faced by $1 billion of losses.

The ANZ Business Outlook yesterday showed firms had scaled back their intentions for new residential investment, and indicated there were more construction firms that expected to shed jobs than hire new staff.

The Treasury expects residential investment to pick up after modest spending over the past two years, due to strong population growth. While the Treasury noted constraints in the sector, it predicts new policies and urban development reform will spur on spending.

The government has earmarked $4.7 billion of capital spending on defence and $4.2 billion for the New Zealand Transport Agency. District health boards will get $2.6 billion to upgrade dilapidated hospitals and health has $300 million set aside in the first two years of the horizon.

Kiwirail gets an extra $1 billion to upgrade rolling stock and tracks and replace the interisland ferries. That takes its projected capital spending to $1.7 billion.

The increased capital spending will exceed the Crown’s forecast cash flow for the next four years, and it will fund the balance by lifting the borrowing programme at a time when global interest rates remain near record lows.

That’s seen pushing up nominal net debt, which is forecast to peak at $69.9 billion, or 19.9 percent of GDP, in the 2021/22 year, before falling to $68.5 billion, or 18.7 percent the following year.

(BusinessDesk)

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Marsden Pipeline Rupture: Report Calls For Supply Improvements, Backs Digger Blame

The report makes several recommendations on how the sector can better prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from an incident. In particular, we consider it essential that government and industry work together to put in place and regularly practise sector-wide response plans, to improve the response to any future incident… More>>

ALSO:

Oil Scare: Trump Authorises Use Of Emergency Crude Stockpile

The New Zealand dollar fell against the US dollar after President Donald Trump authorised the use of the country's emergency crude stockpile after the weekend attack on Saudi Arabia’s major oil facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Post-Brexit Deal Talks: UK Trade Minister Visits Wellington

New Zealand should get a better deal for exports of sheepmeat, beef and dairy products into the United Kingdom after Brexit, the British Minister of State for Trade, Liz Truss, said in Wellington today. More>>

ALSO:

Not-Very Well: Tamarind Halts Tui Drilling; OMV Assesses Options

Tamarind Resources has halted drilling at its Tui oil field off the Taranaki coast after the first of the three planned wells came up dry. Managing director Ian Angell says that despite the “unexpected” result from the first well, the firm believes the other two prospects are worth pursuing. More>>

ALSO:

Seeking 'Clarity': Crown To Appeal Southern Response Decision, Offers Costs

“It is our intention that the clarity that will come from the outcome of these proceedings will enable the Crown to work with Southern Response to provide a soundly based proactive solution to those people that are affected.” More>>