Education Policy | Post Primary | Preschool | Primary | Tertiary | Search

 


Ministry expects schools to reopen following earthquakes

Media release

23 July 2013

Ministry expects schools to reopen following earthquakes

The Ministry of Education expects schools in Wellington and Marlborough to be able to re-open as scheduled next week following Sunday’s earthquake.

Deputy Secretary, Regional Operations, Katrina Casey, says so far school buildings appear to have escaped the earthquake and aftershocks with little or no damage.

“That is really good news for the schools. Clearly we all want to be fully satisfied buildings are safe for students and staff before they return and we are being careful to make sure that’s the case.”

“We’re aware of two secondary schools in Wellington and a school in Marlborough that have some specific issues, but otherwise it’s been a matter of superficial or cosmetic damage.

“More detailed examinations at schools have begun today. But pending anything else being found or further significant events, we’d expect schools to be able to reopen next week for Term Three as planned.”

Ms Casey says multi-storey, heavy-roofed and masonry constructed school buildings in Wellington and Marlborough have been prioritised for structural assessments.

“Through those assessments we will be able to identify any issues that need to be addressed and will work closely with schools to make sure that happens as quickly as possible.”

Ms Casey says the Ministry has also contacted early childhood education providers in Marlborough and Wellington and hasn’t had any serious issues reported at this stage.

“Again, any problems with ECE providers are relatively minor fortunately and haven’t affected their operations.”

All Ministry offices closed yesterday to allow for engineering checks of the buildings have now reopened.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Wellington.Scoop:
My Forty Film Festival Awards

I’ve been going to the Wellington Film Festival for every one of its 42 years, even before it was rebranded as the NZ International Film Festival. So I’m claiming the right to offer my own personal festival awards. More>>

ALSO:

Oracle's Unapproved Modifications: Emirates Team New Zealand Stunned

Emirates Team New Zealand managing director Grant Dalton says he is stunned by revelations that Oracle Team USA AC45 yachts competing in the four America’s Cup World Series regattas were illegal. More>>

ALSO:

Improvised Soap Returns: Wellingtons Riskiest Show Gets Rural

In its tenth year of bringing spontaneous theatre to Wellington’s stages, Wellington Improvisation Troupe (WIT) is ecstatic to present the seventh annual season of the capital’s longest running improvised theatre experience - The Young and the WITless 7. More>>

ALSO:

Malcom Tucker Gets Tardis Keys: Peter Capaldi Revealed As The Twelfth Doctor

Peter Capaldi has been revealed as the Twelfth Doctor in PRIME’s popular sci-fi drama, Doctor Who. Amid much hype and speculation, Peter Capaldi was unveiled as the next Doctor during a special live television event on BBC ONE in the United Kingdom. More>>

ALSO:

Back in Town: Helen Clark To Deliver Lecture At The University Of Auckland

The Rt Hon Helen Clark will present the 2013 Robert Chapman Lecture at The University of Auckland next month. Helen Clark became administrator of the United Nations Development Programme in April 2009 and the first woman to lead the organisation. More>>

Tama Waipara: Fill Up The Silence

After much anticipation Tama Waipara celebrates the release of his second album Fill Up The Silence set for release 6 September 2013. More>>

Culture: Film On New Zealand In Afghanistan Nominated For Top Award

Professor Annie Goldson has received further success for her latest film He Toki Huna: New Zealand in Afghanistan. The University of Auckland lecturer in Film, Television and Media Studies is about to have her documentary screen nationwide in the New Zealand ... More>>

Get More From Scoop

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Education
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news