Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Paula Bennett - Assistance for earthquake affected Canta

Hon Paula Bennett
Minister for Social Development, Employment & Youth Affairs
24 February 2011

Media Statement

Assistance for earthquake affected Cantabrians

Almost one thousand people affected by the earthquake have accessed financial assistance in Christchurch says Social Development Minister Paula Bennett

“Work and Income is making emergency assistance a priority to ensure help gets to those in need as quickly as possible,” says Ms Bennett.

So far more than $163,000 has been paid out in Civil Emergency Grants which are available to anyone in genuine need, they are not income tested.

“The grants are available from Work and Income in the form of vouchers and direct payments to bank accounts,” says Ms Bennett.

The average payment being made is around $170, but varies according to need.

“We were prepared to provide cash payments if necessary, but as bank machines are in operation this is not required,” says Ms Bennett.

The payments are for essential items such food, clothing and bedding.

There have been more than 10,000 calls to the Government Helpline 0800 779 997.

“I urge anyone who needs assistance, to contact Work and Income regardless of whether they receive a benefit or not.

Like many organisations and businesses, Work and Income services on the ground have also been impacted, but staff are doing everything possible to get help to those who need it most.

Work and Income is striving to operate as business as usual.Three Work and Income Service centres in Ashburton, Rangiora and Hornby are open and offering emergency assistance.

Four welfare centres at Burnside High, Cowles Stadium, Pioneer Stadium and Rangiora Baptist Church are also open and offering support.

All residents in Canterbury who need assistance are encouraged to either contact a Welfare Centre or call the Government Help Line on 0800 779 997.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

Update: After a seven hour caucus meeting David Cunliffe has announced Chris Hipkins and Carmel Sepuloni as new party whips and said the Labour council will hold an independent review into the election result. He did not comment on any leadership vote.

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news