Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


3,000 more Youth Guarantee places funded

Hon Steven Joyce
Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment

24 May 2012

3,000 more Youth Guarantee places funded

Budget 2012 continues the Government’s support for foundation training for young people, with 3,000 more places funded over the next four years under the Youth Guarantee Scheme.

“With these extra fees-free places, there will be 8,750 tertiary-based Youth Guarantee places in 2013,” Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Minister Steven Joyce says.

“Along with trades and service academies, the wider Youth Guarantee will offer a total of 12,930 fees-free places for 16- and 17-year-olds in 2013. That means the Government is a year ahead of its commitment to have 12,500 Youth Guarantee places by 2014.

“An additional $37.7 million operating funding over the next four years provides 3,000 more places at levels 1-3 for our young people in institutes of technology, polytechnics, wānanga, and private training establishments.

“This includes priority trade areas such as carpentry, engineering, horticulture, plumbing, gas-fitting, and brick- and block-laying,” Mr Joyce says.

It brings the Government’s total investment in the Youth Guarantee Scheme in 2012/13 to $117.4 million.

“The large number of young people signing up to the Youth Guarantee demonstrates how much they enjoy learning in this different environment,” Mr Joyce says.

“The scheme is giving young people practical skills and the opportunity for a career, particularly those at risk of dropping out of school.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial To Be Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together tomorrow to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial.

The Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial Dedication and Civic Memorial Service starts at 12 noon tomorrow, February 22, at the Memorial site on the Ōtākaro/Avon River, in the area bordered by the Montreal Street Bridge, Durham Street, and Cambridge and Oxford Terraces. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news