Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


Lastest DOC leak puts holes in Smith’s story

20 September 2013

Lastest DOC leak puts holes in Smith’s story

Another leaked document shows Conservation Minister Nick Smith is playing fast and loose with the facts, the Green Party said today.

The document leaked today is the briefing note from the 29th of July meeting when Dr Smith was briefed by Deputy Director-General Doris Johnston on the department’s submission. It clearly shows:
• The Minister was briefed that the Department of Conservation (DOC) was going to make a submission;
• The Minister was told that the submission would focus around water quality and nutrient limits and targets; and
• The Minister was told that the submission was going to be “in the name of the Director-General”, not Nick Smith.

“This document blows holes in Nick Smith’s story,” said Green Party Co-leader Dr Russel Norman.

“Nick Smith told us that he did not even know that the submission existed until September 17 and yet this document shows he was briefed about its existence and some of the content on 29 July.

“Nick Smith told us that the Department was still engaged in an internal debate on the issue on 29 July but this document shows that the department had formed a preliminary view to make a submission.

“Nick Smith told us that he said DOC needed to be careful when making submissions in his name, but this document shows that it was intended to be submitted in the name of the Director-General of DOC.

“Another leaked email shows that at the July 29 meeting Dr Nick Smith expressed concerns and queried if it should just be left to the EPA.

“Within 48 hours of the Monday meeting the original 32 page submission concerning water quality and nutrient targets, had been canned and a new 2 paragraph submission had been adopted which didn’t even mention water quality.

“Dr Smith is not standing up for conservation. He is interfering with DOC, trying to advance his Government’s anti-environment agenda. The Minister needs to resign,” said Dr Norman.

For more information:
Latest leaked document: https://www.greens.org.nz/sites/default/files/briefingnote.png


Click for big version.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On What John Banks And Nick Smith Have In Common

The defence that John Banks has been offering to the charges of electoral fraud – that he didn’t read the document he signed, and therefore lacked the necessary criminal intent – is a fairly standard example of political business as usual.

At a time when political power is being centralised downtown in the Executive, responsibility is being re-located to the suburbs. The Beehive seeks to operate as a blame free, shame free environment. At all times, plausible deniability is to be maintained.

Being able to put distance between the Minister and the actions/outcomes/political fallout of policy is not simply the last desperate resort of scoundrels, but the first resort of the foot soldiers in ministerial service... More>>

 

Parliament Today:

IPCA: Police Closure Of Private Party And Use Of Force Unlawful

An Independent Police Conduct Authority report has found that Police acted contrary to law in entering a private residence on Homebush Road, Khandallah, Wellington in the early hours of 5 September 2009. More>>

ALSO:

Off Benefits; Not Into Jobs: Benefit Figures Nothing To Boast About, Paula

Every time Paula Bennett boasts about a drop in numbers of people on benefits, she is indicting herself for crimes against the most vulnerable people in New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Trial Over 'Anonymous' Donations: John Banks Resigns As Minister

ACT Leader John Banks today confirmed that he has stood down from his Ministerial positions following today’s decision at the Auckland District Court. More>>

ALSO:

Dam Leak: Labour Lodges Privileges Complaint Against Nick Smith

Labour has lodged a privileges complaint against Conservation Minister Nick Smith for deliberately misleading Parliament over a Department of Conservation draft submission on the proposed Ruataniwha dam. More>>

ALSO:

Avonside, Shirley Boys 'Site-Share', Others Stay Open: Christchurch Secondary School Announcement

Education Minister Hekia Parata announced today that, following an extensive consultation process, all Christchurch secondary schools will remain open because the schools are well located and provide good access for students. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Len Brown, Trust, And Simon Bridges

Leaving aside the tawdry details of Auckland mayor Len Brown’s extramarital affair, the oddest feature is the timing of the revelations... More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Ministers: Joint Statement On Southern Ocean Marine Protected Areas

Australia, the European Union, France, New Zealand and the United States jointly call for the establishment this year of marine protected areas (MPAs) in the Southern Ocean, in the Ross Sea Region and in East Antarctica. More>>

ALSO:

TICS: Telco Interception Bill Debated

This Government says the bill seeks to repeal and replace the Telecommunications (Interception Capability) Act 2004 in order to ensure that interception obligations applying to the telecommunications industry are clear, do not impose unnecessary compliance costs, and are sufficiently flexible...More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:


 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news