Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Foundation Blasts ‘Outrageous’ Bus Incident

Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind
Media Release
3 November 2005

Foundation of Blind Blasts ‘Outrageous’ Wellington Bus Incident

“This kind of thing happens constantly somewhere in New Zealand – not an assault, but a member of the Foundation being denied access to a bus or taxi simply because the driver did not believe they were blind or vision-impaired; they did not ‘look like a typical’ blind person because they did not have a guide dog or white cane. This is enormously frustrating for our members. It’s really outrageous that this happened at all, and especially right after Blind Week and after the Human Rights Commission released their report about discrimination in public transport. This has got to stop,” says Paula Daye, CEO, Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind.

The Foundation’s Technology, Employment and Awareness division provides blindness awareness training to private and public organisations, including leading mass transit providers.

Unfortunately, Stagecoach, who are at the centre of the Monday night incident, have refused multiple approaches from the Foundation over several years to provide blindness awareness training to their drivers.

“We’ve provided blindness awareness training to Connex’s Auckland staff and several taxi companies. Foundation members tell us that the staff of these transport providers now better understand their needs and are more helpful and courteous. On the other hand, we continue to receive a constant barrage of complaints by members about how they were treated by some transport providers, including Stagecoach,” says Chris Orr, Community Education and Awareness manager.



This incident occurred Monday after 9pm in Wellington. According to the 14-year-old Foundation member’s mother, and police, the teenager got on a Stagecoach bus at Mercer Street in Island Bay, along with his older brother and a young woman. The driver challenged the teen, saying he did not believe he was the real holder of the bus pass – issued by Stagecoach to Foundation members -- and told him to get off the bus. The teen’s mother said that he declined, insisting that it was his pass.

An incident then occurred with another passenger. Police are investigating this as a “serious assault, not because of injuries but because of the circumstances.”

The teen has twice previously had his bus pass seized by Stagecoach drivers who did not believe he was a Foundation member. He is vision-impaired and a member of the Foundation but does not use a white cane or guide dog.

The teen’s mother advises that her son has no vision in one eye, and only peripheral vision in the other. He is able to distinguish shape but not definition, and he is able to read large print.

Chris Orr says the Foundation has urged providers who issue travel passes to Foundation members to use photo IDs, which would stop or reduce incidents. Some do this now.

The mother of the Foundation member has asked that media inquiries be directed to the RNZFB.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Mosque Shooting Response: Ban On Military Style Semi-Automatics And Assault Rifles

Military style semi-automatics and assault rifles will be banned in New Zealand under stronger new gun laws announced today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says... Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

“An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in, and Cabinet has directed officials to develop a buyback scheme...All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday 15 March will be banned." More>>

RNZ Report: No Mention Of Right-Wing Threat In 10 Years Of GCSB/SIS Docs
There is not one specific mention of the threat posed by white supremacists or right-wing nationalism in 10 years of public documents from the Security Intelligence Service or the GCSB. More>>

Two Minute Silence Friday: Auckland Mosques Opening Their Doors To All
Mosques in the four corners of Auckland will open their doors on Friday night for people of all faiths to gather in remembrance of the 50 lives lost in the Christchurch shootings. More>>

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK
For the Latest: Scoop Search - Christchurch
 

Gordon Campbell: On The School Climate Strike

Locally, the school strike has won a ton of support for bringing climate change to the fore. Yet the strikers don't want mere expressions of support. They want action. More>>

ALSO:

"Grabbed And Struck In The Face": Greens Co-Leader Attacked While Walking To Work

Green Party co-leader James Shaw was the victim of an unprovoked attack when he was walking to work in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

████████ ████ ███: Latest OIA Statistics Released

The latest statistics cover 110 agencies that collectively completed 18,106 official information requests between July and December 2018, a 16.4% increase on the 15,551 requests for the previous six months. More>>

ALSO:

'Hit And Run' Inquiry: New Legal Action Over Secrecy

The lawyer representing the Afghan villagers in the inquiry into Operation Burnham has launched legal proceedings calling for a judicial review in the investigation. More>>

ALSO:

From Hydro Plan To...: Mokihinui River Land To Join Kahurangi National Park

A total of 64,400 hectares of conservation land in the Mokihinui River catchment on the West Coast north of Westport, including 15 km of riverbed, is being added to Kahurangi National Park. “Adding this area, roughly half the size of Auckland City, to Kahurangi is the largest addition of land to an existing national park in New Zealand’s history,” Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels