Press Release: National Distribution Union, Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union, NZ Meat Workers Union
Public Rallies to Support Locked Out Families Across NZ
Union's and community groups are holding public rally's in support of the 500+ locked out distribution workers across New Zealand, says the National Distribution Union.
National Secretary Laila Harre said that workers had called for the rally's to give the workers side of the story to their local communities.
* Christchurch, 11:30 Friday 8th September, starting at the Trade Union Centre on the corner of Armagh St and Madras st, marching at the town square. (The rally will be joined by Progressive Meat workers who will be on the first day of their 4 day strike.)
* Auckland, 12 noon Saturday 9th September, at the Mangere Town Centre, with regae legend Tingi Ness (Unity Pacific), local regae band "Three Doors Down" and Maori R'n'B group "Kotuku."
* Palmerston North, 12 noon at the town square
* Napier, 12 noon outside Napier Woolworths on Carlyle St
* Christchurch will be holding pickets at stores and at the Southmore meat processing plant
An automatic $20 donation can be made on 0900 LOCK OUT (0900 5625 688)
Donations for the locked out workers can also be made out to the National Distribution Union at 02-0200-0217968-00 with the reference "Lock Out".
Locations of distribution centres:
Favona Rd Mangere,
Palmerston North Supply Chain on the corner of Mako mako Rd and Mihaere Dr, Christchurch Supply Chains on Shands Rd and Columbia St.