Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Tragic bypass decision is a $40 million punt

Tragic bypass decision is a $40 million punt

The announcement that a contractor has been found to build the Wellington Inner City Bypass is another tragic milestone on the road to a massive waste of public money, says Wellington mayoral candidate, Timothy O’Brien.

“Nearly $40 million will be wasted on a project which few of its supporters any longer believe will contribute positively to Wellington’s roading or economy,” Tim O’Brien says.

“At a candidates meeting in the Eastern Ward last night, one bypass supporter was reduced to saying ‘there’s nothing we can do and we just have to hope it turns out to work’.

“This is an extraordinary basis on which to spend public money,” Tim says.

Mr O’Brien says it has always been clear that the bypass cannot work. It is intrinsically connected to a lane reduction ‘boulevard’ project on Jervois Quay which means the final cross-town traffic capacity will be reduced when the bypass is built.

“For this contract to be let during an election in which the project is a major issue shows a certain lack of respect for the citizens of Wellington.”

However, Mr O’Brien noted that Transit New Zealand management has been placed in an impossible position.

“When it’s remembered that Transit itself canned the Bypass earlier this year in favour of a revised street plan it’s obvious the management there doesn’t believe in it either.

“This is essentially a political decision which has been made without any concern for rational traffic planning or the many businesses and historic streetscape which will be destroyed forever during the project,” Tim O’Brien says.

Mr O’Brien says there is still time for reason to prevail and a plan which enhances, rather that destroying Te Aro, to be put in place.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Why Big Spenders Are Not Our Tourism Salvation


Covid and climate change have been changing the face of tourism. That’s why it seemed oddly premature last week for Tourism Minister Stuart to announce that New Zealand isn’t interested in mass tourism any more, or in attracting the sort of budget visitors who “travel around our country on $10 a day eating two-minute noodles.” Instead, New Zealand aims to focus its marketing efforts on attracting wealthy, big spending tourists. “In terms of targeting our marketing spin,” Nash said, “it is unashamedly going to be at … High-quality tourists.” Really? The comments have raised a few eyebrows overseas, and a few hackles here at home. Nash’s comments have also been something of a gift to an Opposition adept at portraying the Ardern government as a bunch of liberal elitists out of touch with ordinary people...
More>>




 
 

National: Surgical Wait List Hits New Record
A new record has been set for New Zealanders waiting more than four months for surgery, National’s Health spokesperson Dr Shane Reti says... More>>


School Strike 4 Climate: Intergenerational Climate Strike On September 23rd
Once again School Strike for climate Ōtautahi (Christchurch) is asking all students to unite in a call to all council candidates to #voteclimate. Happening on Friday 23rd of September... More>>

Privacy Commissioner: Public Input Sought To Inform Privacy Rules For Biometrics
Privacy Commissioner Michael Webster is encouraging New Zealanders to have their say on the use of biometric information in Aotearoa New Zealand... More>>


Government: Wage Growth Best On Record
Workers’ have experienced their biggest pay hike on record, outstripping inflation. Stats NZ figures show median weekly earnings from wages and salaries jumped by 8.8 percent in the June year... More>>

Human Rights Commission: Urgent Government Action Needed To Support Renters’ Human Rights
An immediate freeze on rent increases could give renters some reprieve during the cost-of-living crisis says Te Kahui Tika Tangata, the Human Rights Commission... More>>


Government: Creating Sustainable Public Transport For All
Workers and public transport users are at the heart of the new Sustainable Public Transport Framework, Transport Minister Michael Wood announced today... More>>


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels