Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

ARC appeals sand extraction ruling

ARC appeals Mangawhai-Pakiri sand extraction ruling

The Auckland Regional Council has lodged a High Court appeal against the Environment Court decision to allow Sea-Tow Limited and McCallum Bros Limited to continue sand extraction from the Mangawhai – Pakiri embayment.

In a reserved decision, released on May 30, the Environment Court granted resource consents to the companies’ to take 76,000cu metres of sand a year for 14 years from part of the nearshore of the Mangawhai-Pakiri embayment.

ARC Coastal Projects Leader Andrew Benson said after reviewing the decision ARC believes that the Environment Court made a mistake in assessing the rate of sand replenishment into the nearshore area where Sea-Tow Ltd and McCallum Bros Ltd were seeking consent to renew their sand extraction activities.

“The Environment Court decided there was more sand coming into the area, where the proposed sand extraction takes place, than was going out,” Mr Benson said. The ARC’s point of appeal rests on the lack of evidence to support that conclusion,” Mr Benson said.

ARC Environmental Management Chair Dianne Glenn said councillors were particularly concerned and disappointed with the decision because the Hauraki Gulf was an area of special protection.

“Mangawhai-Pakiri has significant natural, physical, cultural, amenity and landscape values and is home to two threatened bird species, the New Zealand Fairy Tern, and the New Zealand Dotterel,” Cr Glenn said.


For more information please contact ARC Environmental Management Chair Dianne Glenn on (09) 366 2000 x8555 or 0274284779.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The Mosque Movie, And The Demise Of Netanyahu

Plainly, a whole lot of New Zealanders – including PM Jacinda Ardern - are not on board with They Are Us, the mooted film project intended about the Christchurch mosque shootings. Here’s how the original Hollywood Reporter story described the gist of They Are Us... More>>

 



Government: To Apologize For Dawn Raids

The Government will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.
Between 1974 and 1976, a series of rigorous immigration enforcement policies were carried out that resulted in targeted raids on the homes of Pacific families... More>>

ALSO:


Trade: EU And UK FTAs Top Of List For First Ministerial Trip Since COVID-19

Trade and Export Growth Minister Damien O’Connor today announced details of his planned visit to the United Kingdom and European Union next week, where he will hold trade and agriculture discussions to further New Zealand’s economic recovery from COVID-19... More>>


Transport: Clean Car Package To Drive Down Emissions

The Government is taking action in line with the advice of the Climate Change Commission to increase the uptake of low emission vehicles by introducing a range of measures that will help meet New Zealand’s 2050 carbon neutral target... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels