Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Karori Park to host Plunket Shield cricket match

CRICKET WELLINGTON MEDIA RELEASE
Tuesday 9 August 2011

Karori Park to host Plunket Shield cricket match

Karori Park will host its first first-class cricket match in March 2012, when the Wellington Firebirds will play Central Districts in round 9 of the Plunket Shield.

Following extensive renovations in recent years, Karori Park was awarded a first-class “warrant of fitness” by New Zealand Cricket officials in February 2011.

Cricket Wellington CEO Gavin Larsen said: “the scheduling of the Plunket Shield match at Karori Park is the culmination of several years of investment and partnership involving the Wellington City Council, the Basin Reserve Trust, Cricket Wellington, and the Karori Cricket Club. It’s very pleasing to have a high-quality alternative venue now to the Hawkins Basin Reserve, and we’re sure that the local Karori Cricket Club and wider Karori community will get behind the match.”

The match runs from the 18th to 21st March, which will mean that it closely precedes the international test match between the BLACKCAPS and South Africa at the Hawkins Basin Reserve, starting on 23 March. “We see it as very exciting for Karori to play such a significant part of what will be a very big week of cricket in Wellington” said Larsen

Councillor John Morrison, Portfolio Leader, Sports & Events, for the Wellington City Council said that the match was a great return for the investment made in Karori Park by the Council over several years. “We’ve always had a goal of hosting first-class cricket at the ground, so to achieve the warrant of fitness and then receive a match is very pleasing for all involved,” said Councillor Morrison.

David Bain of the Karori Cricket Club also endorsed the comments regarding the match. “We all know we have a great facility here in Karori and we’re looking forward to working with Cricket Wellington to help put on a top-quality game. The club is enormously proud to have helped achieve first-class status for the ground, and we’re all looking forward to the opportunity and the challenge of hosting first-class cricket here in Karori.”

Karori Park will be become the sixth venue in Wellington to host men’s first-class cricket. Aside from the Hawkins Basin Reserve, the Petone Rec, Hutt Rec, Maidstone Park in Upper Hutt, and Wellington College have previously hosted first-class matches.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Failing To Prepare For Either Mental Health Needs, Or Covid Outbreaks


In a week when the Covid scare in Wellington and the national crisis in mental health both hit the headlines, they also seemed like mirror images of each other – in that we seem equally ill-prepared on both fronts. In both cases, contingency planning has seeds next to non-existent... More>>

 

National: Minister Little All Out Of Answers On Mental Health

In Parliament today Health Minister Andrew Little had few answers to my questions on the mental health crisis Labour has allowed to balloon in their nearly four years in Government, National’s Mental Health spokesperson Matt Doocey says... More>>

ALSO:


Environment: Bringing Back The Health Of Hauraki Gulf

New marine protection areas and restrictions on fishing are among a raft of changes being put in place to protect the Hauraki Gulf for future generations.
The new strategy, Revitalising the Gulf – Government action on the Sea Change Plan, released today... More>>

ALSO:

NZ First Returns: Winston Peters - AGM Address

Ladies and gentlemen, it’s a pleasure to be in Auckland for the 28th New Zealand First Party Conference. It is our intention and mission to remain the most successful political party outside of National and Labour in the last three decades... More>>



Government: New Members Appointed To Waitangi Tribunal

Minister for Māori Development, Hon Willie Jackson, today announced the appointment of three new members to the Waitangi Tribunal and the reappointment of one existing member to the Waitangi Tribunal... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels