Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Transport Agency slammed for "lazy and inept" design


Media Release: Friday 17 August

Transport Agency slammed for "lazy and inept" design at Basin Reserve

The Save The Basin Reserve campaign has said that it is "simply stunned" at the lazy and inept design announced by the NZ Transport Agency for a flyover at the Basin Reserve.

"In 2007, Wellingtonians were promised an iconic design for a crucial heritage precinct, at a cost of $27 million", said Kent Duston, convener of the Save The Basin Reserve campaign. "Instead we've been handed an ugly motorway on-ramp for $90 million that will destroy much of what our city values at the Basin Reserve."

According to Mr Duston, the Transport Agency's flyover fails to take account of the recently-announced changes to Memorial Park, and attempts to force a flyover into a space that it is clearly ill-suited for. "The design is laughably poor. Instead of looking at the Basin Reserve as an integrated piece of urban design, as the Architecture Centre did with Option X, the Transport Agency has simply jammed a flyover between St Joseph's Church and the entrance to Memorial Park and ignored the impacts on the surrounding area."

"We've always wondered what problem the Transport Agency were trying to solve at the Basin Reserve", said Mr Duston. "Now we know - it wasn't 'how do we improve Wellington's transport and urban form', it was 'how can we squeeze a flyover in, irrespective of whether it's needed or not?'"

According to the Save The Basin Reserve campaign, the flyover is on track to be the most expensive road in New Zealand's history. "The Transport Agency is intending to spend $90 million to build just 400 metres of road, plus the inevitable cost over-runs. It's clearly a lousy investment for the country, and represents a degree of fiscal irresponsibility that hasn't been seen since the Think Big era", said Mr Duston.

"While we're supportive of transport improvements around the Basin, and welcome the recent change of heart at Memorial Park, it's clear that the Transport Agency need to pull back from their grandiose 'flyover-at-any-cost' ideas", said Mr Duston. "In tunnelling Buckle Street under Memorial Park, the government has committed to building half of the Architecture Centre's acclaimed Option X alternative design - so why not do the job properly, and simply build the other half? It would be cheaper, the transport solution would be better, and the iconic Basin would be enhanced rather than damaged."

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels