Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Review of land zoning decisions completed


Media Release – Friday 24 August 2012
Review of land zoning decisions completed

More than 100 flat land properties damaged by Canterbury’s earthquake series will have their zoning changed, following an assessment by the Zoning Review Advisory Group.

The review was led by Dr Keith Turner and followed the last zoning decisions which were completed in May this year.

CERA chief executive Roger Sutton says initially more than 1300 people applied to have the decision relating to their property reviewed, although some subsequently withdrew that application.

In the process of assessing the zone boundaries, 35 properties whose owners had not applied for a review have been identified as needing to be changed.

While property owners had the opportunity to apply to have their zoning reviewed, the final parameters of the review meant the process was not limited to these properties alone.

The review checked all properties to confirm that the criteria agreed by Cabinet had been consistently applied, and that boundary lines were drawn sensibly when taking ongoing infrastructure serviceability into consideration.

In total, three properties will change from Red to Green Zone, and 101 properties will change from Green to Red.

The remainder, which is the majority of the properties considered, will not change.

Of those changing to Red, the Advisory Group found that 62 met the criteria outlined by Cabinet to be designated as Red Zone. These properties are in various areas of Burwood, Dallington, Linwood and Avondale.

Mr Sutton says the other 39 properties did not strictly meet Cabinet’s criteria, but on balance their land met its intent. This related to issues including isolation and unviability of infrastructure. These properties include all of Stour Drive in Burwood, and the remaining six properties in Porritt Place, Dallington.
“Some of my staff spent last night and this morning contacting the owners of the 104 properties that have changed zone, to personally inform them of the zoning change,” he said.

“Everyone who applied to be considered in the review will be sent a letter advising them formally of the outcome. These letters will arrive over the course of today and tomorrow and will give the property owners an outline of what they need to do next.”

For the people whose land is now classified as Red Zone, the next step will be to return a consent form. That will enable the Crown to put together a purchase offer based on the 2007 valuation figures for the property.

They will have until 31 March 2013 to accept an offer and return their signed Sale and Purchase agreement. Final settlement date is 30 April 2013.

The three properties that are no longer zoned Red will have their Crown offer withdrawn, and they will be able to progress their relevant EQC and insurance claims to complete repairs as required.

The remaining properties that did not change are mostly in Technical Category 3 (TC3) areas. The owners of these properties will be invited to attend meetings that are specifically catered to discussing options for TC3 land owners, and which will be attended by insurance and EQC specialists.

These meetings begin next week and will be held over the coming six weeks in different locations across Christchurch.

Mr Sutton says he is very happy with the review process, and thanked Dr Keith Turner for his guidance.

“I appreciate this still didn’t give everyone the answer they were hoping for, but the process has been able to correct the boundary anomalies where needed. This is the end of the flat land zoning process now. It has been an incredibly long and detailed process but I am happy that there is finality for the many people who have been so badly affected by the devastating earthquakes.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The Mosque Movie, And The Demise Of Netanyahu

Plainly, a whole lot of New Zealanders – including PM Jacinda Ardern - are not on board with They Are Us, the mooted film project intended about the Christchurch mosque shootings. Here’s how the original Hollywood Reporter story described the gist of They Are Us... More>>

 



Government: To Apologize For Dawn Raids

The Government will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.
Between 1974 and 1976, a series of rigorous immigration enforcement policies were carried out that resulted in targeted raids on the homes of Pacific families... More>>

ALSO:


Trade: EU And UK FTAs Top Of List For First Ministerial Trip Since COVID-19

Trade and Export Growth Minister Damien O’Connor today announced details of his planned visit to the United Kingdom and European Union next week, where he will hold trade and agriculture discussions to further New Zealand’s economic recovery from COVID-19... More>>


Transport: Clean Car Package To Drive Down Emissions

The Government is taking action in line with the advice of the Climate Change Commission to increase the uptake of low emission vehicles by introducing a range of measures that will help meet New Zealand’s 2050 carbon neutral target... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels