No State Asset Sales Concert Porirua Sept 1
“No State Asset Sales Concert”
Porirua Township (near Cobham Court)
Saturday 1 September from 9-11am
Aotearoa is Not For Sale (Wellington) is joining with the community of Porirua, and supported by Ngati Toa rununga, in holding a “No State Assets Sales” event in protest of National, Act and United Future’s planned partial-asset sales tomorrow morning, Saturday 1 September, from 9-11am, near Cobham Court in the Porirua Township.
Ngati Toa Chairperson Taku Parai, Porirua Mayor Nick Leggett, union representatives from PSA and Rail, Maritime and Transport Unions, MP’s Jan Logie and Chris Fafoi and representatives from MANA, Peoples Power Ohariu and other community organisations will be speaking and there is a great line up of performers including, Matiu Te Huki, the Faletutulu aiga, Celestial Serpent Josephine Teu Campbell and friends. There will be plenty of people collecting signatures for a `Keep Our Assets’ petition for a referendum on this issue.
This is part of an on-going campaign to oppose state asset sales and to keep this issue live, in front of the public. Aotearoa is Not for Sale – Wellington have recently held flash occupations of two of the hand-full of corporations, Bell Gully and Clemenger’s, that are being paid millions of our tax payer dollars to sell off what rightfully belongs to all New Zealanders. We plan to do more.
“We know that state asset sales have yielded terrible results for our economy in the past. We do not want to see anymore publically owned assets of national significance being sold off to the few elite wealthy and put at risk of multi-national corporation ownership and control”, says Aotearoa is Not for Sale – Wellington spokesperson, Ariana Paretutanganui-Tamati.
Aotearoa Is Not For Sale Wellington is a part of the greater network of individuals, groups, and organisations that make up the 'Aotearoa NZ is Not for Sale'. We strongly oppose the sale of publically-owned (state owned enterprises) assets and the Government’s Mixed Ownership Model plan nationwide.
“As New Zealanders, we already own these assets, and it is these assets that should be free for all of us to share in and enjoy the benefits from. It not only is fiscally irresponsible, it is morally and ethically wrong that the sale of these assets will benefit less than 10% of the country who can afford to by shares; while the other 90% plus are forced into having less say in our important state assets, hiked power prices and higher inequality. The poorest and most vulnerable are again hit hardest by the neo-liberal agenda of this Government”.
At a time of global financial and economic insecurity our Government should be securing public assets for the benefit of all current and future New Zealanders and not gamble with our strategic high performing assets. New Zealand is NOT for sale! Make it clear to one and all; we are joining hundreds and thousands of New Zealander’s in fighting to retain what is rightfully ours and for all generations to come.