SCIRT traffic update: Week starting Monday, 21/9/15
SCIRT traffic update: Week starting Monday, 21 September, 2015
Lower Mt Pleasant Rd – plan for closure from Monday 28 September
A section on lower Mt Pleasant Rd (between Seamount Tce and Billy’s Track) is currently one lane with a priority give-way to downhill traffic. From Monday 28 Sept, this will become a full closure for about 5 weeks. Plan to use Major Hornbrook or Soleares.
Spring is here and there’s now more of the Coastal Pathway to enjoy following the completion of the latest section by SCIRT’s Fulton Hogan team during their Main Road three laning project. The Mayor of Christchurch Lianne Dalziel and Fulton Hogan’s Michael Fulton (on bikes) joined the community at the recent opening with Councillors Yani Johanson and Paul Lonsdale, and Dr Tim Lindley, Chairperson Coastal Pathway Group (yellow jacket). If travelling in Mt Pleasant and surrounds please watch for changing traffic conditions and take extra care around cyclists and children.
Celebrate the new footbridge and get ready to swap routes – Merivale
• All are welcome to join the community with SCIRT’s McConnell Dowell team and the Mayor of Christchurch Lianne Dalziel who will officially open the newly built Carlton Mill footbridge on Monday 21 September. The ribbon-cutting ceremony starts at 10am.
• After the Carlton Mill footbridge opening, the Helmores Lane bridge will close on 21 September until early 2016 for repairs. Helmores Lane bridge pedestrians and cyclists should consider using the newly opening Carlton Mill footbridge.
SCIRT in the Central City – expect delays and avoid during peak times
• Night works – 6pm-6am: Evening and early morning Barbadoes St commuters should watch for reduced lanes, delays and turning restrictions for 3 weeks from Sunday 20 Sept. Completing these wastewater repairs at night will reduce the traffic impact however, SCIRT knows it will be more disruptive for residents and thanks the community for their patience and support during these essential earthquake repairs.
• Fitzgerald Ave has reduced lanes between Lichfield and St Asaph Sts for about 2 weeks. Major entry/exit restrictions at Fitzgerald and St Asaph intersections. Consider alternatives.
• Manchester St is southbound only between Gloucester and Hereford Sts.
There are many organisations rebuilding our Central City. Check the best way to get in and around the city at: www.tfc.govt.nz
Please take extra care around this busy area as SCIRT installs a new resilient wastewater system for this community. See the Aranui map for bus routes and detours.
• On Rowan Ave:
o The closure between Pages Rd and Carisbrooke has temporarily re-opened to a one-way. It will close again for 1 day on Wed 23 Sept so the road can be sealed.
o The progressive road closure from Carisbrooke towards Eureka Stcontinues for about 5 weeks.
• Merrington Cres will be one-way (towards Marlow) from Monday 21 Sept.
• Pages Rd is one-way towards the city from Bexley Reserve to Shuttle Dr.
• The south side of the Pages Rd/Rowan Ave intersection is closed for about 6 weeks. The Yellow bus detour is along Marlow Rd.
• Breezes Rd remains one-way between Wainoni and Pages Rds. Please watch for pedestrians, cyclists and children by the two schools on Breezes Rd.
• Doreen St is one-way eastbound (towards Marlow).
• Marlow Rd remains one-way from Doreen St to Pages Rd for road repairs.
• Eureka St is one-way northbound from Soberton St to Wainoni School. Southbound traffic use Meon St. Please take extra care near the school.
• Rolling road closure on Portchester St from Pages Rd end and moving towards Carisbrooke St continue for about 2 weeks.
• Portsmouth St – from Hampshire St to Ben Rarere Ave will be closed for 2 more weeks. There is no access from Portsmouth St to the service lane behind Hampshire St shops during this time.
• Sandown Cres has a progressive road closure from the northern end and moving south.
• Carisbrooke St is currently one-way from Portchester to Warblington St.
Please visit the Metro website www.metroinfo.org.nz or phone Metro Info on 366 8855 for any bus service changes.
Work in other suburbs
• Inwoods Rd between Queenspark Dr and Broadhaven Ave is busy with ongoing work. Two-way traffic is maintained but watch for turning restrictions at the intersection of Bottle Lake Dr and Arosa Pl.
• Forrest Dr has a progressive road closure between #23 Forrest Dr and Broadhaven Ave for 7 more weeks.
• Cossar St is one-way heading east from Monday 21 Sept for 2 months.
• From Monday 21 Sept, New Brighton Rd near Lake Terrace Rd will be one lane with temporary traffic lights to maintain two-way traffic. Expect delays.
• Lake Terrace and New Brighton Rds intersection is closed.
Edgeware / St Albans
• Colombo St (between Canon and Edgeware) returns to two-way traffic this week. Repairs continue until early-October so watch for changing traffic conditions.
• Edgeware Rd between Sherborne and Manchester Sts is one-way eastbound for about 3 months.
There’s a short detour you can take to get to the local Edgeware / St Albans businesses affected by these works. Please be a rebuild hero and make the extra effort to support your local businesses.
• There will be no entry from Fendalton Rd to Holmwood Rd for about 2 months. Holmwood Rd traffic can still enter Fendalton Rd. No right turn is available on Queens Ave or Garden Rd. Suggested detour is Wairarapa Tce and Garden Rd.
• Wai-iti Tce is one-way between Bryndwr and Clyde Rds for a month. Suggested detour is Ilam Rd.
• Helmores Lane Bridge will close 21 Sept at noon for repairs which will continue until early 2016. Please use Carlton Mill Footbridge which is opening on 21 Sept.
• Carlton Mill bridge repairs ongoing at the Harper Ave, Park Tce and Carlton Mill Rd intersection for about 2 more months. Two-way traffic remains but reduced lanes may cause delays. Look out for pedestrians and cyclists.
• Papanui Rd – between Clare Rd and Derby St has two-way traffic but reduced lanes. No right turn from Derby and Rastrick Sts onto Papanui Rd. Watch for cyclist and buses.
• No exit from Petrie St on to Shirley Rd for about 4 weeks. Only westbound traffic on Shirley Rd can enter Petrie St.
• Hills Rd (between Guild and Dudley Sts) is one-way northbound. Southbound traffic please slow down along the detour – heavy traffic please take a different route. Dudley St/Hills Rd intersection is left turn exit only onto Hills Rd.
• Worcester St is closed between Woodham Rd and Dacre St, and is one-way southbound (towards Linwood Ave) between Dacre St and Linwood Ave.
• Woodham Rd is one-way city bound between Kerrs Rd and Gloucester St. Eastbound traffic please follow the detour route. Watch for cyclists.
• Maces Rd - between Wickham and just past Bromley Rd - is one-way southbound from Monday 21 Sept for about 10 days. Northbound detour is via Newtown, Tanya and Wickham Sts.
• Progressive road closure along Kawau Cres finishes this week but continues on Hay St until end of September.
• Smith St has a temporary progressive road closure in place until early 2016.
• Matlock St traffic can’t enter / exit Smith St until October. Please be on the lookout for changes.
• From Monday 21 Sept work starts on Selwyn St (between Brougham and Ward Sts) for around 2 weeks. Two-way traffic will remain but watch for cyclists. No on-street parking.
Spreydon & Somerfield
• Barrington St remains one-way northbound (towards city). With repairs swapped to the other side of the road, the traffic lane has also swapped, so take extra care and follow the signs. Southbound remains closed between Stanbury Ave and Rose St.
• A section on lower Mt Pleasant Rd (between Seamount Tce and Billy’s Track) is one lane, priority give-way to downhill traffic. From Monday 28 Sept, this section will be closed for about 5 weeks. Plan to use Major Hornbrook or Soleares.
• Retaining wall repairs on Jacksons Rd mean progressive road closures. Please watch for changes and follow the signs and detours.