Tsunami Threat: no evacuation for Auckland
For immediate release
14 November 2016, 2.35am
Status: Auckland CDEM is monitoring tsunami threat
Marine threat: stay off beaches, strong currents likely
Auckland Civil Defence is monitoring the threat of tsunami waves following a 7.5 magnitude earthquake near Culverden (Canterbury, South Island) just after midnight this morning (14 November). No evacuation is required however a marine threat is in place.
In line with Ministry of Civil Defence advice, and while we are monitoring the situation, the following applies to Auckland’s EAST COAST. People should:
1. Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities)
2. Stay off beaches and shore areas
3. Do not go sightseeing
4. Share this information with family, neighbours and friends
5. Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates
6. Follow instructions of local civil defence authorities.
Auckland Civil Defence is NOT initiating any evacuation orders at this stage.