Road evacuation from Kaikoura today
Thursday 25 November 10.30am
Access from Kaikoura to the Kaikoura Emergency Access (KEA) route (Inland Road)
Plans are proceeding to provide a safe and coordinated road evacuation from Kaikoura for some residents and visitors from 1-3pm today. This is for one-way travel from Kaikoura in a southward direction only.
This process is being coordinated by the Civil Defence response team in Kaikoura and managed by the NZTA. It is subject to change due to weather conditions or safety assessments of the road.
For details see the FAQ below. Future access will depend on weather conditions and the ongoing geotechnical engineering assessments.
Safety is the first priority for drivers, passengers and contractor crews working on repairing the route.
Around 100 drivers have pre-registered their
intention to travel the route.
FAQs: Kaikoura Emergency Access route (Inland Road)
How do I get on the road?
• You need to report with your vehicle at the intersection of SH1 and the Inland Road no later than 1pm today, Friday 25 November.
• This is after the military convoy comes through from the south.
• All vehicles must be capable of driving the length of the route and will be inspected for roadworthiness at this checkpoint.
• Pre-registrations are not required.
• If you have registered to evacuate, please use this opportunity to depart Kaikoura
• Access is being provided for one way travel from Kaikoura in a southward direction only
When’s the next trip?
• It is not known when or if the next opportunity will be to use this route out of Kaikoura.
will it take?
• It is estimated the trip could take up to four hours or more.
• There are no toilets on the route and stopping is not permitted.
• This is a one-way trip in a southward direction only and turning around is not permitted.
• You can get a fuel chit for up to 40 litres from the council building through the usual process if you are planning on leaving today.
What happens when I get
• You are responsible for your own health and safety during the trip – please ensure you have sufficient medicines, water, food for the journey.
• You are also responsible for ALL your onward arrangements.
• Drivers are responsible for ensuring the safety and insurance of their vehicle, and their own health for the journey.
Can I get a ride?
• It is up to drivers to decide who travels in their vehicle.
• You can take pets if they fit in your car and you have enough food and water for them.