Prestigious Marketing Award Goes to MOTAT
15 November 2017
Prestigious Marketing Award Goes to MOTAT
MOTAT’s focus on using past, present and future Kiwi technology, innovation and heritage to inspire its audience and the creative use of digital media are being hailed as driving factors behind the museum winning the ‘Excellence in Marketing’ category at the Westpac Auckland Business Awards - Central last night.
“We are over the moon about this accolade particularly as we were up against an array of talented organisations,” says MOTAT’s Marketing and Communications Manager, Danielle Dunn.
Some of the notable achievements that resulted in MOTAT being nominated for the award were the increase in visitor numbers from previous years, an expanded outreach programme, a successful public programme series and escalating revenue generation across several income streams.
“We have strategic objectives to attract new and repeat visitation to MOTAT and to extend the museum’s reach beyond its physical boundaries. Inspired marketing and communications has a major role to play in achieving this,” says MOTAT’s Director Michael Frawley.
Apart from the marketing award, MOTAT was also named as a finalist in two other categories: ‘Excellence in Strategy and Planning’ and ‘Employer of the Year’.
“It is particularly rewarding for a not for profit organisation to be recognised and judged against some of the leading businesses in New Zealand,” says Mr Frawley. “It confirms that the ongoing implementation of the strategy we introduced in 2014 is working and I am extremely proud of the MOTAT Team,” he adds.
The Museum also has a commitment to positive community engagement and as the Festive Season approaches, its successful marketing methodology has benefits for Auckland’s vulnerable families and children. Plans are well underway for the annual ‘Christmas Lights at MOTAT’ charitable campaign which sees the Museum bedazzled with fairy lights and its gates opened for ten enchanted evenings in the build up to Christmas. This event series offers visitors the chance to experience an array of twilight festivities in the Historic Village for a $2 charitable donation. All proceeds go towards buying gifts for the Auckland City Mission and Auckland Women’s Refuge.
“This event is now established as a firm favourite on Auckland’s festive event calendar and as our visitor attendance at Christmas Lights goes up every year, this enables us to increase the value of gifts donated to local charities,” says Ms Dunn.
MOTAT was nominated for the Excellence in Marketing award alongside Alexandra Park, Mike Pero Mortgages, Paralympics New Zealand and Smart Express Limited.
Auckland Chamber of Commerce CEO Michael Barnett says the winners represent the diversity of Auckland’s economy in size, management style and commitment to business excellence.
“These awards are all about celebrating businesses in our community that are making a difference. These are the employers, producers and leaders for today and tomorrow – who make Auckland the thriving centre it is,” says Mr Barnett.
Notes to the editor
Some of the key successes for MOTAT during the 2016/17 year:
• Increased overall visitor numbers and engagement with a range of stakeholders from the wider community on a variety of special events such as the Science Street Fair and Fire & Rescue Day. These events have seen significant growth year on year with the Science Street Fair visitor numbers increasing by 67% and Fire & Rescue Day by 18% from 2016 to 2017.
• Upgraded exhibition spaces and continued improvements to the current infrastructure. This has included adding more colour and vibrancy by painting buildings in colours complimentary to MOTAT’s new way-finding system.
• Developed and produced MOTAT outreach modules which are currently being tested in an internal environment and gradually being rolled out into the community.
• Focused on the professional management of the MOTAT Collections with the progression of the Inventory Project and the preparation to relocate stored artefacts to high quality off-site facilities.
• Increased sales in MOTAT’s retail stores and year on year growth in function space venue hire sales.
The Westpac Auckland Business Awards, hosted by Auckland Chamber of Commerce with the support of ATEED, offer businesses a chance to be rewarded for their excellence, to share their stories and to celebrate their successes. For a complete list of finalists and details of the Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremonies please visit aucklandbusinessawards.co.nz