SH1, south and north of Kaikōura to close from 8pm tonight
State Highway 1, south and north of Kaikōura, will close to traffic at 8 pm tonight due to high rainfall today and forecast further heavy rain overnight.
South of Kaikōura, SH1 will close between Oaro and Peketa.
There will be a soft (manned checkpoint) closure at the
Leader Road, north of Cheviot, so drivers are aware there
will be no access to Kaikōura from the south side of
• The northern closure is between Clarence and Mangamaunu.
The aim is to reopen the highway both sides at 9 am Wednesday, once geotechnical checks have been done.
The Inland Road (Route 70) is still open for access to Kaikōura and Picton to Christchurch traffic can take the Lewis Pass route.
“Although there have been no major concerns on the highway today, after last night’s closure due to rockfall triggered by rain, there is still a risk of rockfall and small slips overnight given the large amount of rain we have had and which is forecast to come,” says NZ Transport Agency Network Operations Manager, Tresca Forrester.
“We have recorded 95mm of rain in parts of the Kaikōura coast in the last 24 hours and we are expecting between up to 75mm more, falling on already sodden ground and cliff faces.”
How to stay up to date:
• For travellers between Christchurch and Picton check real time information: http://www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/kaikoura-earthquake-response/plan-your-journey/
• Important information is also shared via the Transport Agency’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts listed here: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/contact-us/connect-with-us/
• Drivers can also call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) to speak to the call centre team for traffic and travel information.
• Check the MetService: http://www.metservice.com/warnings/severe-weather-warnings for the latest severe weather warning and watches.