Aoraki/Mt Cook marathon Saturday: fast runners, slow drivers
While the marathon runners might be trying to break records, people in cars travelling to or from Aoraki/ Mt Cook this Saturday (5 October) need to take it slower than usual around marathon competitors and their support crews.
Drivers should expect a slower than usual journey between Glentanner and the Hermitage Hotel, says NZ Transport Agency Journey Manager Tresca Forrester.
The Aoraki/Mt Cook marathon and shorter races are being held all morning, to around 3 pm.
State Highway 80 will remain open during these races, however there will be short delays at single lane bridges and at the competitor turn-around points, where stop/go traffic control will be in place.
The Transport Agency asks everyone on the
highway to be patient, take extra care and look out for the
• For more information on this event: https://www.facebook.com/aorakimountcookmarathon/
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey. Keep
up to date with:
• Traffic updates: nzta.govt.nz/traffic
• Facebook: facebook.com/NZTAsouthisland
• Twitter Canterbury/West Coast: twitter.com/NZTA/CWC
• Twitter Otago/Southland: twitter.com/NZTAOS
• Journey planner: journeys.nzta.govt.nz
• Phone: 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49)