Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Total Fire Ban declared in Hawke’s Bay

A prohibited fire season has been declared for Hawke’s Bay. The change in fire season is effective from 12 noon today (Monday 10 February).

Principal Rural Fire Officer Trevor Mitchell says all fire permits have been suspended and a total fire ban in place.

"A prohibited fire season means no fires are permitted due to the extreme fire risk. During a prohibited fire season only gas and charcoal barbeques can be used".

"The recent fires we have had in the area are examples of why people need to be extra vigilant in these very hot and dry conditions."

It only takes a spark to start a devastating wildfire. That spark can come from a site of a historic controlled burn, power lines sagging into vegetation or equipment such as tractor mowers, lawnmowers, grinders, welding or even a plough.

It is vitally important that people understand these risks and take precautions.

"If anyone has had a controlled burn in the past two months, please check it is fully extinguished as these have the potential to flare up," says Trevor Mitchell.

"People should also look out for power lines sagging into vegetation and check electric fences for any shorts. Contact your power supplier if you have any concerns and if the wires are sparking or smoking, call 111 immediately."

It’s also important to make sure your home is fire safe.

"Protect your home by making sure your roofs and gutters are clear of dead leaves, debris and pine needles as these can create fuel for a fire. Move anything that could burn (such as mulch, leaves, firewood piles) away from exterior walls, decks or porches. Have a fire plan."

You can find more information on how you can reduce the risk of fire at www.checkitsalright.nz.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Land, Air & Sea: Regions To Benefit From NZ Upgrade


Regional New Zealand will be a hive of activity in the coming months as the New Zealand Upgrade Programme delivers on its promise to modernise our infrastructure, prepare for climate change and help grow our economy. As part of the $12 billion NZ Upgrade Programme announced by the Government last month, $300 million was allocated for capital projects in regional New Zealand.
The first package of regional projects – worth about $190 million – has been announced by Regional Economic Development Minister Shane Jones at an infrastructure seminar today... More>>


 

Gordon Campbell: On The Donations Scandals

By now, it seems crystal clear that something is deeply amiss with the way that New Zealand political parties solicit, receive and report their funding. Evidently, the nominal threshold of $15,000 that requires public disclosure of the donation ... More>>

ALSO:

New Zealand Government: Action On Fuel Market Competition

The Government has released a comprehensive response to ensuring New Zealanders get a fairer deal at the petrol pump. This follows the Commerce Commission fuel market ... More>>

ALSO:



Child Poverty: 18,400 Children Lifted Out Of Poverty

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has welcomed new reporting showing the Coalition Government is on track to meet its child poverty targets, with 18,400 children lifted out of poverty as a result of the Families Package... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Our Unreal Optimism About Coronavirus

At this week’s Chinese New Year celebrations, PM Jacinda Ardern was resolutely upbeat that business with China would soon bounce back to normal – better than ever, even - once the coronavirus epidemic has been brought under control. To Ardern, ... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels