Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Hamilton Welcomes Watercare Decision

Hamilton has welcomed a decision which will see Auckland reducing its reliance on the Waikato River as a water source.

On Friday a Board of Inquiry released its decision into an application from Watercare to take a further 150 million litres of water per day from the river. It cleared the way for Watercare to double its take to 300 million litres of water per day, providing breathing room after the city faced acute water shortages last year.

However the Board rejected Watercare’s request for a 35-year resource consent and instead provided just a 20-year consent. In that time, Watercare will be required to make tangible progress towards finding a new water supply, other than the Waikato River. Consent conditions also strengthen the ability for tangata whenua to be directly involved in decision making about the awa.

Hamilton Mayor Paula Southgate said she was pleased Auckland now has greater certainty over a key economic and life-giving resource. She noted the additional water take granted to Watercare will have no impact on Hamilton which has a consent to take water from the river until 2044.

But she welcomed the direction for Auckland to think about future sustainable sources of water. Water supplies from the river “were not endless” and the Waikato River was already under pressure she said.

“Auckland needed more certainty. This decision provides that and we certainly support that because Auckland’s economy and our economy are closely linked. No-one wants to see Auckland struggling for water,” she said.

“Hamilton’s concern, and that of other submitters, was always the prospect of a 35-year consent. That would have seen plenty of water for Auckland but could have limited our own access to water despite the Waikato River flowing right through our city. That would have been disastrous for Hamilton and for the wider Waikato economy.”

“In our evidence to the Board we asked the consent be reduced to 20 years and that it be conditional on Auckland making measurable progress towards finding a new water source. It seems the Board has accepted our evidence and has come to a pragmatic decision which puts the health of the river, and the economic security of two fast growing cities, front and centre.”

The full decision by the Board of Inquiry is here

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Budget 2022


At base, the political biffo back and forth on the merits of Budget 2022 comes down to only one thing. Who is the better manager of the economy and better steward of social wellbeing – National or Labour? In its own quiet way, the Treasury has buried a fascinating answer to the “who’s best at running an economy during a crisis?” question, at page 57 of the Fiscal Strategy section...
More>>



 
 

Government: Helps Supermarket Shoppers Get A Fair Deal
Urgent Budget night legislation to stop major supermarkets blocking competitors from accessing land for new stores has been introduced today, Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Dr David Clark said... More>>


Budget 2022: A Secure Future In Difficult Times
Budget 2022 will help build a high wage, low emissions economy that provides greater economic security, while providing support to households affected by cost of living pressures... More>>

ALSO:

Budget: Climate Investments Provide Path To Economic Security
The Government is investing in New Zealand’s economic security by ensuring climate change funding moves away from short-term piecemeal responses and towards smart, long-term investment... More>>

ALSO:



National: Jacqui Dean To Retire From Parliament In 2023

Waitaki MP Jacqui Dean has announced that she will not be seeking re-election at the 2023 election. “I have advised the President and Leader of the National Party that I have decided not to put my name forward... More>>

Classification Office: Following Decision To Ban Manifesto The Buffalo Mass Shooting Livestream Is Now Banned
The livestream video of yesterday’s mass shooting in the United States has now been banned, Acting Chief Censor Rupert Ablett-Hampson announced this morning. The decision follows on from his decision yesterday to call in and ban the ‘manifesto... More>>

Borders: New Zealand Poised To Welcome International Students Back
New Zealand is fully reopening to international students and the Government is committed to help reinvigorate and strengthen the sector, Education Minister Chris Hipkins said today... More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels