Work with Karapiro 2010 to reduce landfill waste by 35%
22 November 2010
Coca-Cola Amatil works with Karapiro 2010 to reduce landfill waste by 35 per cent
A successful partnership between Coca-Cola Amatil New Zealand and the organisers of the Karapiro 2010 World Rowing Championships has set a benchmark for what major sporting and entertainment events can achieve with recycling and reducing spectator and competitor waste to landfill.
Over the eight days of competition where more than 66,000 people attended, marking a world record for attendance at a World Rowing Championships, a total of 215 cubic metres of waste was produced.
35 per cent of this was recyclable material, a total equivalent to more than standard 6-metre shipping containers. This material was collected, separated, sorted and recycled.
Coca-Cola Amatil New Zealand’s (CCANZ) recycling initiative included the set up of 150 specially designed recycling bins alongside waste bins from the Park and Ride area to the lakeside, flags identifying the bin clusters, banners, big screen animation and a volunteer force of 60+ ‘Green Team’ members, actively encouraging people to recycle.
The recycling of plastic bottles and aluminium cans was promoted by a mobile force of Green team members on site every day, animated video messages played to the crowd on large screens during race coverage. The ‘Refresh and Recycle’ message was further reinforced with information in the souvenir programme and a daily newspaper supplement.
From the total recyclable material, CCANZ’s recycling bins collected 28 per cent of total recyclable waste, the remaining 72% of material was cardboard and glass, which was collected separately. Over 5.5 tonnes of waste was diverted from landfill.
The Environmental and Site Co-ordinator for the 2010 World Rowing Championships Carmel Tolhurst estimates that over 90% of all potentially recyclable material collected was recycled, an outstanding result.
Kylla Petersen, CCANZ’s Recycling Activation Manager for the 2010 World Rowing Championships says the result is something New Zealanders can be proud of. “We are trying to change the public’s perception on out-and-about recycling, and what we’ve achieved at this event is hugely encouraging. It shows just how much boosting the recycling presence in public places means people will choose to do the right thing.”
“We have Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park taking place in Christchurch and Auckland in the coming weeks where we will again be encouraging public place recycling” says Ms. Petersen.
The success achieved with a comprehensive waste management plan at the World Rowing Championships 2010 shows the difference effective public place event recycling can make to reducing landfill waste.