Celebrating 25 Years of Scoop
Special: Up To 25% Off Scoop Pro Learn More

Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

NZPork Considering High Court Judgment

NZPork Considering High Court Judgment
Media Release: For immediate release

NZPork and its advisors will carefully consider the judgment handed down by Wellington’s High Court yesterday, which does not support its challenge of new import health standards.

The pork industry challenged MAF’s process for deciding new standards – which would permit imports of untreated pig meat from countries infected by the Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS) virus – in the High Court in August last year.

NZPork Chairman, Ian Carter, said the industry’s concern is that PRRS or other unwanted organisms will enter New Zealand under the less restrictive import health standards, greatly increasing the risk of infected meat being fed to pigs.

Mr Carter said that, despite the Court accepting MAF’s decision-making process, massive gaps in scientific knowledge around PRRS transmission remained.

“ MAF’s Independent Review Panel recognised that there are many gaps in scientific knowledge around this issue, including in understanding the exposure pathways of risk material. This means we have no basis to believe that the dangers from importing PRRS-infected meat can be managed,” says Mr Carter.

“It is crucial that the industry’s concerns are addressed, and NZPork now needs to carefully and fully review the judgment."

“Infected meat fed to pigs is believed to have caused a 2004 PRRS outbreak in South Africa, which resulted in thousands of animals having to be euthanized.”

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Are you getting our free newsletter?

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.

“A great deal remains unknown about the risks from importing meat potentially infected with PRRS."

Mr Carter said NZPork would welcome the opportunity to work constructively with the Ministry of Primary Industries to fill the scientific gaps in a way which would implement the recommendations of MAF’s Independent Review Panel, while satisfying the Ministry, industry and New Zealand’s international trade commitments.

“If the existing standards are finalised, it sets a precedent of allowing at-risk products into New Zealand, with sparse knowledge of how the risks would be managed inside our borders."

“Allowing imports of potentially diseased meat could put our broader primary industry at risk. It would be taking a gamble that our farmers cannot afford to lose. Biosecurity is key to New Zealand’s economic security, and we risk it at our peril," says Mr Carter.

“The pork industry is keen to work with the Ministry for Primary Industries to keep New Zealand safe from unwanted pests and diseases,” concluded Mr Carter.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Join Our Free Newsletter

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.