30 August, 2013
Vodafone launches 4G in New Plymouth
Vodafone launches 4G – the world’s fastest mobile network technology – in parts of New Plymouth today.
Russell Stanners, CEO of Vodafone New Zealand, says the launch of a commercial 4G network is great news for the city.
“4G has captured customers’ imaginations. And with 4G available to 60% of New Plymouth’s population, there’s even more opportunity for locals and visitors to experience the speed of 4G.
“We’re proud to be the first to bring superfast 4G to New Plymouth, only on the Vodafone SuperNet™. Now you can use 4G when you’re relaxing at East End Beach, shopping on the waterfront or simply enjoying a stroll around the city.”
Vodafone’s 4G network is up to 10 times faster than standard 3G services*, allowing customers to stream, download, upload, browse and game faster than ever before. And 4G delivers a near seamless connection to the cloud, allowing businesses to upload and download attachments in seconds, and load web pages instantly.
Vodafone offers the largest range of 4G-capable devices at a range of price points – 16 now, including the recently launched Samsung GALAXY S4 Mini, Sony Xperia SP, Blackberry Z10 and Huawei Ascend G526. Five new 4G-capable devices – the Samsung GALAXY S4 Active, HTC One Mini, Nokia Lumia 925, Nokia Lumia 625 and Vodafone Pocket WiFi R212 – will be available from Vodafone soon.
Kiwis wanting to experience the speed of 4G will need a 4G-capable device with the latest software, a qualifying plan and be in a 4G coverage area. The device seamlessly switches to Vodafone’s next fastest 3G speeds when customers leave the 4G coverage area.
Vodafone customers can keep control of 4G data use with Vodafone’s exclusive Data Angel® service. Data Angel® alerts customers when they’re approaching their data allowance limit, and when their limit is reached – letting customers use their device freely while staying in control of how much they spend.
Vodafone’s 4G network build is being carried out in partnership with long-standing partner Nokia Siemens Networks.
For more information and 4G coverage maps, visit: www.vodafone.co.nz/network/coverage/
Notes to editors
Vodafone SuperNet™ is the superior network for landline, mobile, TV and broadband.
* Speed comparison refers to 3G without dual carrier (DC).
· At the entry level customers can get onto 4G with a SIM only plan for just $39/month which includes 500MB of data with a 4G upgrade. For those looking for even more data, a 4G SIM only plan for just $69/month has 1GB of data with the 4G upgrade.
· Our new Vodafone Red packages include 4G at no additional charge.
o Red Essential comes with 1GB data for $99 per month
o Red comes with 2GB data for $129 per month
o Red comes with 4GB data for $169 per month
· Money back guarantee: customers purchasing a 4G $10 add-on have the option to cancel their add-on within 90 days if they are not entirely happy with their 4G experience.
The following 4G-capable devices are available:
· HTC One
· HTC One SV
· Apple iPhone5
· BlackBerry Z10
· Samsung GALAXY S4
· Samsung GALAXY Note II 4G-variant
· Samsung GALAXY S III 4G-variant
· Samsung GALAXY Note 10.1 4G
· Samsung GALAXY S4 Mini
· Windows Phone 8X by HTC
· Sony Xperia Z
· Sony Xperia SP
· Nokia Lumia 820
· Apple iPad Mini
· Apple iPad with Retina Display
· Huawei Ascend G526
· HTC One Mini – coming soon
· Nokia Lumia 925 – coming soon
· Nokia Lumia 625 – coming soon
· Vodafone Pocket WiFi R212 – coming soon
· Samsung GALAXY S4 Active – coming soon