All-New Ford Focus RS coming to New Zealand in 2016
All-New Ford Focus RS coming to New Zealand in 2016
• High-performance hatchback pioneers advanced technologies to deliver the ultimate rally-inspired experience
• Features ground-breaking new Ford Performance all-wheel-drive with dynamic torque vectoring and selectable drive modes
• Specifically tuned version of 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine developed for Focus RS with comprehensive engineering changes to deliver 257 kW / 440 Nm1 – combined with a powerful braking system with Brembo front callipers
• Dramatic signature exterior design and colour / wheel option offers unique street presence
• All-new Focus RS offers all with recommended RRP of $69,880
AUCKLAND, 21 OCT, 2015 – Ford’s wave of exciting new vehicles continues into 2016 with the arrival of the highly anticipated all-new Ford Focus RS.
The high-performance 2016 Focus RS is expected to arrive at Ford New Zealand dealerships from mid-2016, boasting maximum power of 257 kW / 440 Nm1 from its specially tuned 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, mated to a sophisticated all-wheel drive system.
The all-new Ford Focus RS will have a New Zealand Recommended Retail Price (RRP) of $69,880.
“With New Zealand’s love for rallying and hot hatches, the Focus RS has a very enthusiastic and avid following,” said Ford New Zealand Managing Director, Corey Holter. “When we brought in the previous Focus RS, it sold out the day we announced it. While we will have more available this time around, we are optimistic that the new Focus RS will prove to be similarly popular and in demand - especially when you consider the refined power, high level of technology and the new advanced Ford Performance all-wheel drive.”
The all-new Ford Focus RS is the sixth new performance model in two years and will sit above the Fiesta ST and Focus ST in Ford’s hot hatch stable, building on a pedigree of driving excellence dating back to the first Ford RS in 1968.
Apart from the Fiesta ST and Focus ST, other Ford performance vehicles include the Falcon XR6, Falcon XR8 and soon-to-arrive Ford Mustang GT.
The all-new Ford Focus RS will be pitched into the high-performance hatch segment, with 51 kW more power than the VW Golf R and 36 kW more power than the Subaru WRX STi.
Developed by Ford Performance, the Focus RS has a range of cutting-edge Ford technologies and a specifically tuned version of the new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine that is debuting in the all-new Ford Mustang. In the Focus RS it develops 257 kW @ 6,000 rpm and 440 Nm between 1,600 and 5,000 rpm.
“We are investing and innovating to take on the world’s best vehicles after pulling our various performance groups into the single Ford Performance global team,” says Jamal Hameedi, global chief engineer, Ford Performance. “We are not limiting ourselves to similarly priced vehicles as we now have the singular focus to go after the best just as we are doing with the Ford GT at LeMans and the Focus RS global launch.
Ford’s EcoBoost All-out performance
Ford’s EcoBoost is at the forefront of the all-new Ford Focus RS and this fuel-efficient technology is shared with more than 80 per cent of Ford New Zealand’s product line-up.
Visually, the Focus RS has its own unique exterior appearance, which gives the vehicle a more muscular and powerful character. The design has also been optimised around the more extreme functional requirements for the RS, including cooling for the engine and brakes and aerodynamic performance.
RS design features include:
• New front fascia and grille, including optimised inlets for engine and brake cooling
• New rear fascia with large diffuser element including twin exhaust outlets
• Optimised front and rear spoilers to deliver balanced aerodynamics, with zero lift front and rear
• Unique 19-inch multi-spoke RS alloy wheels
The interior has a very distinctive RS character with a host of special sporting features and detailing. The unique RS interior features include:
• Signature RS-branded Recaro shell seats, with authentic motorsport micro-fibre fabric panels
• Flat-base sports steering wheel with a soft-feel leather covered rim and RS badging
• Binnacle gauges displaying turbocharger boost pressure, oil temperature and oil pressure
• Satin chrome-topped gear lever
• Alloy foot pedals
• Distinctive blue RS stitching on the seats, steering wheel, floor mats and interior trim, the coloured graphic on the gear shifter, and RS logo on the seats, steering wheel and door scuff plates
• SYNC®2 offers customers the benefit of a voice control system that enables them to control their phone, navigation, audio and media inputs and climate control by simple intuitive voice commands or via a large 8-inch high-resolution touchscreen
Ford Focus RS EcoBoost Engine
The new 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine for the all-new Focus RS shares its fundamental structure with the all-aluminium four-cylinder engine in the all-new Ford Mustang.
The specially tuned 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine has been engineered specifically for the Focus RS, including a new low-inertia twin-scroll turbocharger with larger compressor that delivers significantly greater air flow, along with a much bigger intercooler. Peak turbocharger boost is 23.2 psi.
Engine breathing also is enhanced through a less restrictive intake design, and a large-bore high-performance exhaust system with an electronically controlled valve in the tailpipe that helps optimise the balance of back pressure and noise output.
The cylinder head is produced from an upgraded alloy material capable of withstanding higher temperatures, while the cylinder block employs stronger high-tensile cast iron liners.
Engine cooling also has been given the highest priority, with engineers creating additional space within the front of the vehicle to house a significantly larger radiator pack – the biggest ever fitted to a Focus – which provides the level of cooling demanded for intense circuit driving.
Meticulous calibration work has ensured that the power unit delivers excellent low-end responsiveness with a powerful mid-range pull. In its European state of tune, maximum torque of 440 Nm is delivered between 1,600 and 5,000 rpm, with 470 Nm available for up to 15 seconds on transient overboost.
Inspiring performance demands an inspiring soundtrack. Ford Performance engineers have tuned the RS to deliver a rewarding and sporty sound character during spirited driving, with the distinctive burbles and pops that are a RS signature.
The table below outlines the engine/transmission details:
|Focus RS||2.3-litre EcoBoost|
|Maximum Power||257 kW @ 6,000 rpm1|
|Maximum Torque||440 Nm @ 1,600-5,000 rpm1|
|Recommended Fuel||95-98 RON|
|Fuel Economy||8.1 litres/100km2|
|Kerb weight||1,575 kg|
|Tare mass||1,543 kg|
|Fuel tank||52.6 litres|
• 2.3-litre EcoBoost (exclusive RS high-performance version)
• Auto-Stop start technology standard
• All-Wheel-Drive (AWD) system with launch control
• Drive modes – four settings including industry-first ‘drift mode’
• RS tuned suspension with adjustable dampers
• 5-door body style
• Unique RS body kit / fascia
• 19-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels
• Bi-Xenon HID with LED DTRL
• Keyless entry
• Thatcham alarm
• Recaro-branded shell seats – Partial leather / Micro-fibre fabric panels
• High-resolution 8-inch high resolution colour touch screen
• Bluetooth with audio streaming
• Natural language Voice Control for phone, music, climate and navigation controls
• Satellite Navigation
• 9-speaker audio
• USB input
• Rearview camera
• Dual-Zone Climate Control
• Push button start
• Cruise Control with speed limiter
The following option is available with the Focus RS:
PERFORMANCE WHEEL PACK
The wheels and tyres in this optional pack are designed to improve the Focus RS on track performance while still being suitable for every day road use.
• 19-inch forged alloys
• High-performance lightweight design
• Low gloss black colour
• Enhanced strength & impact resistance
• Weight saving
• 235/35 R19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
• Enhanced performance in dry and wet track conditions
Five exterior colours are available on the Focus RS, with Nitrous* being the feature colour in the New Zealand market. Other colours are Frozen White, Magnetic Grey, Stealth Grey and Shadow Black.
The NZ RRP for the all-new Focus RS is:
|2.3-litre GTDi Petrol Manual||$69,880*|
|Performance Wheel Pack||$3,000*|
1Note: Figures obtained from controlled tests using ADR 81/02.
2Power figures measured using premium fuel (98RON).
*Recommended Retail Prices only. Prices shown include GST. The actual selling price for options and accessories (fitted or unfitted) is at the dealers’ discretion.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Michigan, manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 194,000 employees and 66 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit www.corporate.ford.com.