Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Class action for building owners against Carter Holt Harvey

Press release – Monday, 6 August 2018.
Class action for building owners against Carter Holt Harvey filed today

A multi-million dollar funded class action by building owners against Carter Holt Harvey has been filed at the Auckland High Court today (Monday 6 th August) by Adina Thorn Lawyers.

The action seeks damages on behalf of the owners as a result of the alleged failure of the widely-used Shadowclad building product.

Shadowclad is already subject to court proceedings, with the Ministry of Education alleging the product has been defective, leaving it owning approximately 800 leaky school buildings. The estimated repair bill has been reported as being in excess of $1.1 billion. 1

Adina Thorn, who is also running the current $200 million plus funded class action against James Hardie companies for the design and manufacture of cladding products (including Harditex, Monotek and Titan), says the Carter Holt class action is the result of building owners expressing concern over weather-tightness issues with Shadowclad.

“In 2014 the Fair Go television programme found 24 property owners who believed they had been supplied faulty or sub-standard Shadowclad material.

“Given Fair Go’s research, the extent of the Ministry of Education’s claim, and the approaches we have had, clearly the issue is significant. This has led to the funded class action.”

Adina says that the 117 owners from around New Zealand, who have joined the action will face no out of pocket expenses while litigation funding is in place. This will cover the cost of the legal team, technical experts and associated costs needed to mount a strong claim against a large organisation like Carter Holt Harvey.

“Our claim is comfortably in excess of $40 million but it’s likely to round up to $50 million in the wake of recent developments and the media around this and the Ministry of Education’s claim”.

“At this stage we will still accept further claimants but people should act reasonably quickly because this is the opportunity to be part of an action without having to meet any of the high legal, court and technical costs associated with a claim of this nature and scale, against a well-resourced defendant.”


She says building owners who wish to join the class action can still do so at: www.adinathorn.co.nz

1 https://pro.newsroom.co.nz/articles/3315-education-ministry-s-leaky-school-claim-against-carter-holtabout-a-year-away


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Reserve Bank: Official Cash Rate Unchanged At 1 Percent

The Monetary Policy Committee has decided to keep the Official Cash Rate (OCR) at 1.0 percent. Employment remains around its maximum sustainable level while inflation remains below the 2 percent target mid-point but within our target range... More>>

ALSO:

Food Prices: Avocados At Lowest Price In Almost Three Years

Avocados are at their cheapest average price since February 2017, with tomato, lettuce, and cucumber prices also falling, Stats NZ said today. More>>

Auckland Port Move: Cabinet Ministers Deliberate On Report

Cabinet ministers now have a copy of a report urging the government to move the Auckland port up north, but say no final decisions have been made. More>>

ALSO:

Toxicology Tests Planned: Dead Rats Washed Up On Beaches

As many as 600 rats washed up on Westport's North Beach over the weekend to the horror of locals. DOC said they may have been killed by a recent 1080 poison drop 140km away and washed down the Buller River after heavy rain battered the coast. More>>

ALSO: