Having trouble making your selection from the extensive menu? Here’s this week’s picks from the Visa Wellington On a Plate Festival Co-directors
Sarah Meikle’s Top 5 Picks this
1. Going Coastal: “Three food legends across three tasty hours. The afternoon sessions are sold out, but there are still a couple of spots available for the morning on Monday August 13 and 20. I’d get in quick as we don’t expect these to last long.”
2. Hawthorn Lounge Burger Challenge: “Molecular mixology! Smokes, foams, caviars and dusts will be incorporated to create a drinkable version of a cheeseburger. I’m intrigued.”
3. Seafood Banquet: “Are there any finer two words to be found in succession? Yes please!”
4. Chameleon Restaurant: “I had the pleasure of devouring their five-course chocolate degustation menu last year – trust me, it’s not all sweetness and light.”
5. Capitol: “I’ve long been a fan of this Wellington favourite. Two courses plus a glass of regional wine at just $25 for lunch is a steal. Lemon mousse with Lavender’s Green syrup and baked rhubarb anyone?”
Anna Nielson Top 5 Event Picks This
1. Matahiwi Estate Winemaker for a Day: “It’s not every day you get the chance to blend your own wine, take it home and serve it at your next dinner party.”
2. Savour the Flavours of the Region: “A great post-work wine down with colleagues and friends. Just $20 for regional wine and canapé tastings.”
3. Wai-ella Pop-up Picnic in the Park: “Think a rustic chic setting, a regionally flavours paella, spiced warm sangria and cosy heaters – just add you and some friends for good company.”
4. Ti Kouka: “Ti Kouka’s DINE Wellington menu reads like a who’s who of regional cuisine – Zany Zeus, Kingsmeade, Cottage Lane, Lavender’s Green, Greytown Gold, Pinnacle Grove, Whittaker’s, Olivo and Carrello del Gelato all on the one set menu; incredible effort!”
5. Elements Cafe: "Good luck choosing between Coq au Vin free range chicken terrine with housemade bread and Zany Zeus halloumi and zucchini fritters with aioli and watercress. And that's just the starters!"
About Visa Wellington On a Plate
Zealand’s largest and tastiest culinary festival, Visa
Wellington On a Plate, is set to serve good times and great
deals from August 10-26. Get your knives and forks out for a
feast of experiences to please every palate and budget.
The festival centrepiece is DINE Wellington, a fortnight where over 100 of the region's finest eateries offer lunchtime set menus and delectable dinner deals. This year will also see the return of the popular ‘battle of the Burger’, Burger Wellington, and a bevy of 111 events including Beervana, the NZ Chocolate Festival and Wellington Fisher & Paykel MasterClass.