Cloud Piercer Selected for U.S. Development Workshop
Kiwi Film Cloud Piercer Selected for U.S. Development Workshop
Film about the first woman to climb Mount Cook goes to the Stowe Story Labs
WELLINGTON, Friday 28th of August 2015 – Cloud Piercer is a narrative feature film about Freda Du Faur, the first woman to climb New Zealand’s highest mountain, written by Wellington-based filmmaker Anita Ross.
Industry professionals have called Cloud Piercer, ‘wonderfully written’ and ‘an excellent piece of work’.
‘The tenacious Freda leaps off the page, hobnail boots and all, to tell the story of her love affair with the mountains. A triumphant tale of determination and true grit.’
The film is at an advanced script stage and has been selected for an intensive industry workshop in Stowe, Vermont this September. Stowe Story Labs brings screenwriters, filmmakers and creative producers together with seasoned industry professionals to help get projects made and seen.
• David Pope, program director for the Labs and a London-based filmmaker, consultant and training provider;
• Alex Boden, a leading UK-based Creative Producer;
• Amy Hobby, a leading New York-based Creative Producer;
• Jay Van Hoy, a leading New York-based Creative Producer;
• Anne Hubbell, an award winning New York-based Creative Producer;
• Elizabeth Kaiden, a renowned dramatist and development executive;
• David Magee, an award winning screenwriter;
• Chris Millis an award winning screenwriter and producer;
• Beatrice Neumann, a leading London-based sales and distribution executive;
• Ellen Parks, a legendary New York-based casting director with tremendous experience and insight;
• Mark Piznarski, a prolific award-winning television director;
• Anne Rosellini, an award winning screenwriter and creative producer;
• Fred Seibert, a leader in the world of new approaches to film distribution and finance.
Says Story Lab founder David Rocchio,
‘We are very pleased to have Anita joining us in Stowe this fall. Her commitment to learning the craft of screenwriting and her vision for telling the story of Freda du Faur is inspiring.’
The four-day intensive programme will have a specific focus on each project with direct access to working industry professionals and a network of talented peers. Participants also learn about pitching and packaging a film, the role of creative producers and new approaches to finance and distribution.
Cloud Piercer is the first New Zealand film to have been selected for the Stowe Story Labs. The Labs are a significant opportunity to get the script market ready and to take the next steps in bringing this story to the screen.
A campaign to raise funds covering the essential costs of the Labs was launched on PledgeMe recently and has been running very successfully with the involvement of the New Zealand climbing community and many others. The campaign ends on the 31st of August.
To donate and share visit: https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/3934-cloud-piercer-at-stowe-story-labs