Iwi Idol Winner Excited to Perform at Ngāpuhi Festival 2018
‘Iwi Idol’ Winner Excited to Perform with Aaradhna at Ngāpuhi Festival 2018
Yesterday celebrity judges announced the much anticipated winner of the 2018 Ngapuhi Festival Iwi Idol singing competition. Monique Henare-Urwin, age 14 from Auckland has been selected as the first ever Iwi Idol winner from a group of 10 outstanding finalists and 20 video entries. Monique has won this once in a lifetime opportunity to take the stage and sing with famous singer Aaradhna in front of thousands of people at next year’s NGĀPUHI FESTIVAL.
Aaradhna says “…I look forward to performing one of my original songs with the winner. This opportunity should create an atmosphere where we recognise our younger generation and the talent they have been blessed with. It will also be an amazing experience for them to perform before a large scale audience in front of the community, their family & friends. I look forward to the event".
Monique is really excited saying “I have written a lot of songs that I feel this could be the right platform to launch my music to represent my age group and inspire others”.
A panel of Ngāpuhi celebrities, singer/comedian/actor Luke Bird, renowned opera singer Kawiti Waetford and actor/singer Lee Morunga had the hard job of deciding the final winner.
The group said that while the competition was strong Monique had a star quality that made her stand out.
Kawiti Waetford shares some words of inspiration for the gifted young people who participated in the competition and for others who are thinking about taking that next step with their singing “…Tukua te reo kia rere - let your voices soar!…at the end of the day everyone has their own wai, and their own stories to share - kei runga noa atu tēnā!”
Festival Event Manager Tio Taiaki said he has been “overwhelmed by the musical talent that Iwi Idol has brought forward and humbled by the high level of support, endorsement and encouragement from over 5000 online voters. We hope this opportunity gives all young people inspiration to keep pursuing their dreams and developing their talent.”
About Iwi Idol and Ngāpuhi Festival 2018
• Inaugural event
• Video submissions opened on Wednesday15th November
• Video submissions closed on Friday 1st December, 5pm
• Online voting opened on Monday 4th December, 9am
• Online voting closed on Wednesday 13th December, 5pm
• 10 Finalists announced on Friday 15th December. All will be invited to perform at Ngapuhi Festival 2018
• Iwi Idol Winner was chosen by a judging panel
• Ngapuhi Festival is the largest FREE music, arts, cultural and community event in Northland
• Event will be held at Toll Stadium on Saturday 27 January 2018
• FREE entry to festival
• Ngāpuhi Festival hosted by Te Rūnanga-Ā-Iwi O Ngāpuhi since 2004