Tell a Story About the Difference Women Can Make
Nespresso Launches International Film Contest to Tell a Story About the Difference Women Can Make
Auckland, New Zealand – Aspiring Kiwi filmmakers have the chance to win a trip to the Cannes Film Festival as part of a unique contest which aims to showcase extraordinary talent from around the world.
Now in its third year, Nespresso Talents 2018 gives entrants the chance to explore their creativity through a completely new perspective - a vertical filmmaking format. This style of filmmaking, which requires shooting films in the vertical orientation, is becoming increasingly popular within the industry.
This year, Nespresso is asking young filmmakers to share stories of women who make a difference with the theme, ‘The difference she makes’. Nespresso is looking for stories, made by women and men, which celebrate the strength, the talent and the innovation of the women who spark change.
The concept for this year’s theme came from Nespresso’s own commitment to sustainability and positive change. This commitment has seen Nespresso help empower more female agronomists and farmers with knowledge and education.
Last year, 317 videos were submitted from more than 40 different countries; this year Nespresso hopes even more young filmmakers will take part.
The contest will be open for entries from February 8th – March 25th 2018 on Nespresso.com/talents. A select jury of film specialists will choose the three best short films from a shortlist of 15, which will be available for the public to view on Nespresso.com/talents.
As well as funds for their film career, each winner will be treated to an exclusive trip to the world-renowned 2018 Cannes Film Festival, where they will be formally announced and celebrated. The three winners will receive mentoring sessions in Cannes with Semaine de la Critique and Berlinale Talents representatives.
The Nespresso Talents platform aims to inspire filmmakers to create positive change in the world and to celebrate filmmaking talent globally. The contest brief also taps into cultural trends by offering a new storytelling perspective using the vertical format – a way of viewing videos which has already grown 600% in the last five years.
Ciaglia, Nespresso New Zealand Country Manager
says, “Nespresso is proud to support young
talent and innovation, and this competition is an exciting
platform to not only encourage and inspire budding
filmmakers, but also to share the amazing stories of
“We’re looking for people who think differently, who are prepared to go further, push boundaries and demonstrate creativity in what they do.”
To build on the brand’s on-going support of cinematography, this year, Nespresso is honoured to be a Platinum Partner to the EE British Academy Film Awards in 2018 and Official Coffee Partner at the Berlinale International Film Festival for the third consecutive year.
Visit Nespresso.com/talents for more information.
Notes to editor:
• The vertical format requires videos to be shot in a 9:16 frame
• 2018 will be the 11th consecutive year that Nespresso has been Official Partner of the internationally renowned Cannes Film Festival. Continuing its recognition of young talent,Nespresso will be awarding its “Grand Prix Nespresso” for the eighth year running to the director of the best debut film in La Semaine de la Critique.
• Nespresso.com/talents will be the digital home for all information surrounding the content including the 15 pre-selected films, jury information, jury commissioned content, contest terms & conditions and the selected finalists.
• Additionally, official information will be available on Nespresso.com/talents and (userfarm link). Userfarm is the contest partner and a leading European crowdsourcing platform for video with access to 120 000 talented filmmakers worldwide.
• Key dates
• February 8th: Launch of the Nespresso Talents 2018
• March 25th: Deadline for applying
• May 11th: Winners announced at the Cannes Film Festival