2019 New Zealander of the Year Awards Update
13 August 2018
The New Zealander of the Year Awards office is pleased to provide the following nominations update for the 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year Awards:
• 2018 semifinalist Annah Stretton and finalist Mike King have again been nominated for the title of 2019 New Zealander of the Year and 2018 Kiwibank Local Heroes award finalist Dave ‘The Brown Butterbean’ Letele (Manurewa) has also been nominated for the prestigious national award.
• New Zealander of the Year Awards manager Glyn Taylor said nominations to date for this year’s title took in a range of fields, including mental health advocacy, sport and lifestyle coaching.
“Each year, nominations reflect what New Zealanders are talking about and are interested in. Kiwis working hard to address critical social issues continue to feature prominently. A particularly interesting nomination is that of Dr Don Brash, who has been at the forefront of the debate around freedom of speech that’s dominated headlines in recent weeks.”
• Kiwis nominated to date for the 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year award for exceptional contribution to their disciplines are:
o Dr Don Brash (Auckland) – former National
Party leader, free speech advocate
o Annah Stretton (Hamilton) – fashion designer, philanthropist and entrepreneur
o Peter Burling (Auckland) – Team New Zealand yachting skipper
o Sue Kedgley (Wellington) – former Greens MP, Wellington regional councillor
o Mike King (Auckland) – mental health advocate
o Dave Letele (Manurewa) – athlete and weight-loss coach
o Alan Halse (Hamilton) – director of Culturesafe NZ
o Mary O’Hagan (Wellington) – mental health innovator and advocate
o Simone Anderson (Auckland) – lifestyle influencer and weight-loss star
After nominations close on 17 September 2018, a judging panel – comprising representatives of awards patrons, presenters, sponsors, community leaders and independent experts – will evaluate the nominations. The shortlist of 10 candidates to be considered for the New Zealander of the Year Award will be announced in December.
Nominations are also being sought for exceptional New Zealanders in the following categories:
• University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the
Year (15-30 years)
• Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (67 years and over)
• Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year
• Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year
• Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year
The annual New Zealander of the Year awards are in their 10th year. They recognise, encourage and reward New Zealand's most vital asset – its people. They are open to all New Zealanders and celebrate the contributions of New Zealanders from all walks of life.
The 2019 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year will be announced at the New Zealander of the Year Gala Awards in Auckland on 21st February 2018.
Previous winners of the New Zealander of the Year Award are: Kristine Bartlett (2018) Taika Waititi (2017), Richie McCaw (2016), Sir Stephen Tindall (2015), Dr Lance O’Sullivan (2014), Dame Anne Salmond (2013), Sir Richard Taylor (2012), Sir Paul Callaghan (2011) and Sir Ray Avery (2010).
For more information or to nominate someone
for the 2019 New Zealander of the Year Awards visit www.nzawards.org.nz.