Shortland Street storyline reminder of support available
1 October 2014
Shortland Street storyline on depression and suicide – reminder of support available
With this week’s depression and suicide storyline on Shortland Street, the Taranaki DHB would like to remind youth and their families and friends of the support available.
Taranaki DHB Community and Addictions Services Manager, Jo Van Leeuwen said, “The Mental Health Foundation worked with the writers and producers of Shortland Street to ensure the storyline about depression and suicide is told as safely as possible. However, we know that some people will find these episodes distressing”.
“If you need someone to talk to, or if you’re worried for someone else, please reach out for help. You can call the Suicide Crisis Line on 0508 828 865 or phone Youthline on 0800 376 633. If it’s an emergency, phone 111,”
“If you or someone you know is in crisis, call the Taranaki DHB Mental Health Crisis Team on 0508 277 478.”
“If you’re not in crisis, but you think it’s time to get help, your GP is the best place to go.”
“You can also call or email the Mental Health Foundation’s Resource and Information Service during business hours. They can send you resources, and provide more information about supports and services. Phone (09) 623 4812 or email email@example.com,” said Ms Leeuwen.
• Youthline 0800 37 66 33, free text 234, firstname.lastname@example.org. Offers a free confidential counselling service for young people and their parents, family and friends over the phone, via text or email.
• Lifeline Aotearoa 0800 543 354. A telephone counselling service that provides 24 hours a day, 7 days a week counselling and support.
• Suicide Prevention Helpline 0508 828 865 (0508 TAU TOKO). For those considering suicide, or who are affected by suicide.
• Skylight 0800 299 100 (week days). For information and support on getting through change, loss, trauma or grief.
• Depression helpline 0800 111 757. Talk to a trained counsellor who can discuss your situation and find you the right support. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
• OUTLine NZ 0800 688 5463. Provides confidential telephone support for issues related to sexuality or gender identity.