Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Dead Soldiers To Begin Journey Home

Media Release
21 August 2012
IED INCIDENT IN BAMYAN PROVINCE AFGHANISTAN – RELEASE 4

Fallen soldiers Corporal Luke Tamatea, Lance Corporal Jacinda Baker and Private Richard Harris will be farewelled in a ramp ceremony at Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan this evening.

A Royal Australian Air Force C-130 Hercules, with escorts from the New Zealand Provincial Reconstruction Team (NZPRT), will transport New Zealand’s fallen soldiers to meet up with an Australian Defence Force A-340 for the journey to Australia.

A Royal New Zealand Air Force C-130 Hercules, with escorts from 2nd/1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, 1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, and 2nd Health Support Battalion, will then bring CPL Tamatea, LCPL Baker and PTE Harris on the last leg of the journey back to New Zealand.

A final ramp ceremony will be held in Christchurch on Thursday. Timings may be subject to change as a result of Air Force operational commitments.

“The New Zealand Defence Force acknowledges the close support and co-operation of the Australian Defence Force in bringing our fallen home,” says Lieutenant General Rhys Jones.

“We have received a great many offers of support and expressions of condolence from our friends in the wider international military community, which I would also like to acknowledge.”

NZ Defence Force personnel wounded in action on 4 August 2012
The NZ Defence Force can confirm that all personnel wounded in the incident in Bamyan Province, Afghanistan on 4 August 2012 have returned home to New Zealand.
Three personnel remain in hospital receiving ongoing treatment. All six personnel continue to receive ongoing care and support from the NZ Defence Force.
The Defence Force is not facilitating any media interviews with these

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The Mosque Movie, And The Demise Of Netanyahu

Plainly, a whole lot of New Zealanders – including PM Jacinda Ardern - are not on board with They Are Us, the mooted film project intended about the Christchurch mosque shootings. Here’s how the original Hollywood Reporter story described the gist of They Are Us... More>>

 



Government: To Apologize For Dawn Raids

The Government will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.
Between 1974 and 1976, a series of rigorous immigration enforcement policies were carried out that resulted in targeted raids on the homes of Pacific families... More>>

ALSO:


Trade: EU And UK FTAs Top Of List For First Ministerial Trip Since COVID-19

Trade and Export Growth Minister Damien O’Connor today announced details of his planned visit to the United Kingdom and European Union next week, where he will hold trade and agriculture discussions to further New Zealand’s economic recovery from COVID-19... More>>


Transport: Clean Car Package To Drive Down Emissions

The Government is taking action in line with the advice of the Climate Change Commission to increase the uptake of low emission vehicles by introducing a range of measures that will help meet New Zealand’s 2050 carbon neutral target... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels