Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

NZ Jews welcome condemnation of pro-Hezbollah demo


13 June 2018

NZ Jews welcome Finlayson’s condemnation of pro-Hezbollah demo

NZ Jews welcome Shadow Attorney General Chris Finlayson’s statement condemning the pro-Hezbollah protest that took place last Friday in Auckland’s Aotea Square.

New Zealand’s Jewish community is still under threat from the Hezbollah movement, even though we are far from Lebanon, the NZ Jewish Council said today.

“On the Internet you can hear a speech by Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah in 2002 in which he says: ‘If all the Jews gather in Israel, it will save us the trouble of chasing them down around the world.’ ”

This is no idle threat, the NZ Jewish Council says. Hezbollah was behind the 1994 bombing of the AMIA Jewish Community Centre in Buenos Aires, Argentina, in which 85 people were killed and hundreds injured.

“It is shocking to us to see New Zealanders support an anti-Jewish terrorist organisation,” the Council said. “It should be a concern to all fair-minded New Zealanders that an organisation whose beliefs are antithetical to the liberal, tolerant values most Kiwis hold dear is being promoted in a NZ public square.”

The demonstrators came from the same group which last year posted material on YouTube containing Holocaust denial.

“The Human Rights Commission tells us, quite rightly, that ‘Racism starts small’,” the Jewish Council said. “We don’t want to see demonstrations supporting Hezbollah grow into something bigger.”

ends


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

RNZ Live Blog: Eruption At Whakaari / White Island

An eruption has occured on Whakaari / White Island in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, sending a huge plume of smoke and ash into the sky.More>>

Police Update
While it was initially believed there were approximately 100 people on or near the island at the time of the eruption, we now believe there were fewer than 50.

Some of those people have been transported to shore, however a number believed to be on the island are currently unaccounted for. Of those transported to shore, at least one has been critically injured. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Big, Bold, Permanent Change Needed: Children's Commissioner On 2019 Child Poverty Monitor

“I want to see family incomes dramatically raised by increasing benefits and making the minimum wage a living wage. And the Government needs to move much faster at increasing the supply of social housing..." More>>

ALSO:

RNZ Live Updates: Weather Mayhem Strands Tourists; Major Roads Closed

Hundreds of tourists are stranded on the West Coast, and on the other side of the South Island a flood-damaged bridge has closed State Highway 1, after a weekend of torrential rain... More>>

ALSO:

Policing: Armoured Specialist Police Vehicles

New Zealand Police has taken delivery of three Armoured Special Purpose Vehicles. The vehicles are unmarked and look like standard Toyota Land cruisers... They will not be used for patrol. More>>

Single Use PVC And Polystyrene Out: Next Steps On Plastic Waste

The Government will phase out more single-use plastics following the success of its single-use plastic bag ban earlier this year and the release today of a pivotal report for dealing with waste. More>>

ALSO:

Faafoi Statement: Minister's Suspicious Immigration Texts

I have apologised to the Prime Minister and understand I have let her down in regards to my dealings with Jason Kerrison over an immigration matter concerning his family. More>>

ALSO:

NZ First Conflicts Of Interest: New Details Around Timeline

New information has emerged showing it was the New Zealand First chief of staff who identified potential conflicts of interest between a forestry company and two senior government ministers, sparking a series of declarations. More>>

Earlier:

Donations:

Five New Cancer Meds In Six Months: Pharmac Funds More Cancer Medicines, Faster Assessment

PHARMAC has confirmed that two new medicines – olaparib for ovarian cancer and fulvestrant for breast cancer – have been approved for funding... Rituximab and bortezomib, which are already funded, have also been approved for widened access following successful commercial proposals from new suppliers. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels