Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Bail conditions must be reviewed before more innocents die

Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin’ in the wind
From Blowin’ in the wind. Bob Dylan

The Sensible Sentencing Trust want to know how many deaths it will take before Bail conditions in New Zealand are reviewed and tightened?
A fatal crash caused by an unlicensed driver who was found to have traces of cannabis and alcohol in his system would not have happened if he had adhered to his probation conditions.

In the early hours of August 29, Charles Te Popoki Ngamotu was in New Plymouth driving a car carrying three passengers: 22-year-old Casey Wilson-Atutahi, a 17-year-old girl and a 16-year-old male. However, the 31-year-old was meant to be in Wellington where he had been bailed to an address with a curfew of 10pm to 6am.

Sensible Sentencing Trust (SST) Public awareness and Education spokesperson Jock Jamieson says with the New Zealand road toll climbing ever higher it is time to make an example of those who flout the law causing the death of innocent people.
“In breach of his bail conditions, Ngamotu was in a different town. The learners licence he once had expired five years earlier and he was driving with traces of THC in his system. He crashed the speeding car killing one passenger and severely injuring two others. Ngamotus’ behaviour shattered the lives of one family and traumatised two others. The total harm he caused cannot be underestimated but our justice system doesn’t seem to care."

Ngamotu pleaded guilty to driving dangerously causing death, two counts of driving dangerously causing injury, and a breach of standard or special conditions set by Corrections.

Judge Stephen Harrop sentenced Ngamotu to two years and six months' jail and further disqualified him from driving for four years. He described the crash as a tragedy. Not only had it taken a life, changed the life of the two teen victims and affected many families, but Ngamotu was too a victim, he said. As a result of the crash, Ngamotu sustained a traumatic brain injury and fractured ribs. He continued to suffer nightmares and panic attacks. "On top of that you have suffered the consequence, which you will for the rest of your life, knowing what you have caused," he said. "The emotional harm that you've suffered as a result of being the driver responsible for this shouldn't be underestimated."

But Jock Jamieson says this sentence is not adequate, saying instead Ngamotu and many others like him should be held fully responsible and accountable for the harm they cause, or nothing will change.
“Excuses don’t count and when Judge Harrop declared that the offender was also a victim it’s was slap in the face for the affected families. Ngamotu had a choice, his victims did not. Ngamotu breached his bail conditions and killed someone for his reckless behaviour, there should have been at least a charge of manslaughter”

Jock says there is a major concern around bail and the follow up of those on bail conditions, and says an urgent review needs to be carried out as to how we can better monitor those on release conditions.

“We have seen too many incidents happen causing innocent victims’ grief and tragedy from those who are not adhering to their bail conditions. How are they going under the radar so often, do Corrections need more resources or is there simply a communication breakdown within our government agencies? Whatever it is we cannot ignore it is happening and we must hold those to account who choose to break their conditions!”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

RNZ Live Blog: Eruption At Whakaari / White Island

An eruption has occured on Whakaari / White Island in the Eastern Bay of Plenty, sending a huge plume of smoke and ash into the sky.More>>

Police Update
While it was initially believed there were approximately 100 people on or near the island at the time of the eruption, we now believe there were fewer than 50.

Some of those people have been transported to shore, however a number believed to be on the island are currently unaccounted for. Of those transported to shore, at least one has been critically injured. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Big, Bold, Permanent Change Needed: Children's Commissioner On 2019 Child Poverty Monitor

“I want to see family incomes dramatically raised by increasing benefits and making the minimum wage a living wage. And the Government needs to move much faster at increasing the supply of social housing..." More>>

ALSO:

RNZ Live Updates: Weather Mayhem Strands Tourists; Major Roads Closed

Hundreds of tourists are stranded on the West Coast, and on the other side of the South Island a flood-damaged bridge has closed State Highway 1, after a weekend of torrential rain... More>>

ALSO:

Policing: Armoured Specialist Police Vehicles

New Zealand Police has taken delivery of three Armoured Special Purpose Vehicles. The vehicles are unmarked and look like standard Toyota Land cruisers... They will not be used for patrol. More>>

Single Use PVC And Polystyrene Out: Next Steps On Plastic Waste

The Government will phase out more single-use plastics following the success of its single-use plastic bag ban earlier this year and the release today of a pivotal report for dealing with waste. More>>

ALSO:

Faafoi Statement: Minister's Suspicious Immigration Texts

I have apologised to the Prime Minister and understand I have let her down in regards to my dealings with Jason Kerrison over an immigration matter concerning his family. More>>

ALSO:

NZ First Conflicts Of Interest: New Details Around Timeline

New information has emerged showing it was the New Zealand First chief of staff who identified potential conflicts of interest between a forestry company and two senior government ministers, sparking a series of declarations. More>>

Earlier:

Donations:

Five New Cancer Meds In Six Months: Pharmac Funds More Cancer Medicines, Faster Assessment

PHARMAC has confirmed that two new medicines – olaparib for ovarian cancer and fulvestrant for breast cancer – have been approved for funding... Rituximab and bortezomib, which are already funded, have also been approved for widened access following successful commercial proposals from new suppliers. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 


 

InfoPages News Channels