Video | Business Headlines | Internet | Science | Scientific Ethics | Technology | Search

 

New possum toxin approved


17 August 2011

New possum toxin approved

The Animal Health Board (AHB) welcomes the registration of microencapsulated zinc phosphide (MZP) paste for the ground control of possums. The toxin was approved by the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) on 11 August 2011. The AHB - along with Connovation Ltd and Lincoln University - supported Pest Tech Ltd's application to register MZP in New Zealand.

The AHB undertakes extensive possum control each year to stop the spread of bovine tuberculosis (TB). Around 80 per cent of this control work is carried out with ground set traps and toxins. Ground control is impractical in the remaining 20 per cent of cases so aerially-applied sodium fluoroacetate (biodegradable 1080) is used. Unlike sodium fluoroacetate, MZP is not registered for aerial application and can only be used in areas where ground control is practical. Because it is a paste, it can only be used in certain bait stations.

Additional information about zinc phosphide

Zinc phosphide has been used in other countries as a vertebrate pest control tool since the 1940s. Possums appear to be relatively susceptible, with a lethal dose of just 25 mg/kg. Death is caused through a combination of cardiac and respiratory failure and normally occurs between three to five hours after the toxin has been ingested.

MZP poses a low secondary poisoning risk to scavenger species and dogs. It does not bioaccumulate and is considered a humane toxin. There is no antidote to MZP, with treatment being mainly symptomatic and supportive. Strict conditions have been placed on the use of the toxin to protect applicators, bystanders and the environment.

- ends -

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 


NIWA: Tonga Eruption Discoveries Defy Expectations
New findings from the record-breaking Tongan volcanic eruption are “surprising and unexpected”, say scientists from New Zealand’s National Institute for Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA)... More>>


Commerce Commission: Appeals Record $2.25m Fine In Vodafone FibreX Case

The Commerce Commission has filed an appeal in the High Court against a record $2.25 million fine imposed on Vodafone NZ Limited (Vodafone) for its offending under the Fair Trading Act during its FibreX advertising campaign. While the sentence imposed in the Auckland District Court on April 14 was the largest-ever fine under the Fair Trading Act, the Commission will argue that it is manifestly inadequate... More>>



All District Health Boards: Historic Pay Equity Settlement

An historic agreement has been ratified that addresses a long-standing undervaluation of a workforce that is critical to the smooth running of our hospitals and the delivery of healthcare... More>>




Finder: RBNZ Survey: 64% Of Experts Say Rising Inflation Will Push More Kiwis Into Debt

Soaring inflation and cost of living pressures will see many households pushed to the financial limit, according to experts... More>>



Barfoot & Thompson: Rents Up By Around 3% In Most Areas

The average weekly rent paid for homes in most areas of Auckland has risen by around 3 percent year-on-year. The figures for end March from more than 16,000 properties... More>>


DoC: Smeagol The ‘Gravel Maggot’ Leaves Its Rare Mark On The Remote West Coast
An extremely rare species of sea slug or ‘gravel maggot’ has been detected for the first time on a remote beach in South Westland... More>>