TIMOR TODAY 19 OCTOBER 2000
TIMOR TODAY 19 OCTOBER 2000
For full text see… http://www.easttimor.com/
1) Habibie behind the violence, militia say 19/10/00 (The Age) KUPANG - Militia leaders in West Timor say they are ready to release evidence implicating former Indonesian President B.J.Habibie and top generals in the destruction of East Timor, in return for political asylum.
2) Militia Leaders Offer Evidence, Ask For Protection 19/10/00 (Lusa) DILI - Four of the most important leaders of the East Timorese pro- Indonesia militias have written to 35 international figures, among them UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and Pope John Paul II, offering to provide evidence of crimes committed in East Timor in exchange for guarantees of their own personal safety.
3) Indonesia ``naive'' to say West Timor safe-UNHCR 19/10/00 (Reuters) JAKARTA - The United Nations on Wednesday rejected Indonesian claims that it was safe for aid workers to return to West Timor, saying militia gangs were still active and holding East Timorese refugees hostage.
4) General denies intimidating prointegration militias 19/10/00 (Jakarta Post) JAKARTA - Udayana Military Commander Maj. Gen. Kiki Syahnakri denied on Wednesday accounts which claimed he had intimidated members of the prointegration groups as reported to the United Nations Security Council, Antara reported.
5) $4.8M In Indonesian Aid Approved 19/10/00 (AP) International donors approved $4.8 billion for Indonesia to help cover its budget shortfall Wednesday, while seeking more action on economic reforms and on disbanding pro-Jakarta gangs that have terrorized refugees in West Timor.
6) Malaysia backs Indonesia on its West Timor stance 19/10/00 (Indonesia Observer) LANGKAWI - Malaysia Tuesday expressed support for Indonesia’s efforts to solve security problems in West Timor by itself and said the United Nations must recognize Jakarta’s rights.
7) East Timor: 80 Percent of Schools With Infrastructure Problems 19/10/00 (Lusa) DILI - More than 80 percent of East Timorese schools are functioning without proper infrustructures, most of them with neither furniture nor other equipment two weeks after the academic year began in this half-island territory
8) Slain soldier's comrades to make memorial visit 19/10/00 (NZ Herald) Private Leonard Manning, killed in East Timor in July, will be remembered next month when his entire unit visits the Waikato to pay its respects to their comrade.
9) East Timor's tiny Paralympic team gets warm welcome in Sydney 19/10/00 (AP) SYDNEY - When senior constable Barry Parrish inspected the luggage of East Timor's tiny delegation to the Paralympics, he was surprised by what he saw. There was little more than some old clothes.
10) Ex-Indonesian Military Chief to Sing for Charity 19/10/00 (Reuters) JAKARTA - Former Indonesian military chief Wiranto, linked to mass violence in East Timor last year, plans to record a pop album and give proceeds to the victims of bloodshed in his troubled country.
11) Consultative Group Meeting on Indonesia Tokyo, October 17-18, 2000
12) UNTAET Daily Briefing, 18 October 2000 The Cabinet of the Transitional Government today endorsed a proposal relating to an East Timor National Standard for Organic Products, which will preserve the international recognition of East Timorese coffee as organic
13) UNTAET Daily Briefing, 17 October 2000 Sergio Vieira de Mello will visit Australia and New Zealand 22-27 October
14) CDPM Press Release on Consultative Group on Indonesia 18/10/00 (CDPM) LISBON - The next meeting of the Consultative Group on Indonesia (CGI), an international donors' conference organised by the World Bank, is scheduled to take place in Tokyo on 17 and 18 October 2000.
---------------------------------------- Timor Today Funding! https://timoraid.securewebsites.com/etisc_donation_page/donate.htm In order to keep this highly successful service going until we find a new grant, we appeal to all readers to contribute by making a donation.
Subscribe Join the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe You can also unsubscribe from the list via email simply by sending a BLANK email to: email@example.com
--- Sponsor's Message --------------------------------------
Get email and like it! Upgrade your brain with informative newsletters from IDG. From hot products to high-speed LANs, Linux to Novell, we’ve got the email you want--FREE at Topica! http://click.topica.com/aaaaKkausWsNauubHDc/PCWorld