World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search

 

Arab states must not close doors to Palestinian refugees

Gov. demands Arab states not to close their doors to Palestinian refugees

Gaza, 14 October 2013 - Palestinian Government demanded the Arab states not to close their doors in the face of Palestinian refugees, and work diligently to offer a helping hand to them.

Undersecretary of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Dr. Ghazi Hamad called Monday morning in a press conference on the United Nations its offshoot United Nations Relief and Works Agency refugees "UNRWA" to fulfill their responsibilities towards the plight of Palestinian refugees, and take action to put pressure on refugee host states to respect the international law and agreements.

"We are surprised with the inability of the states in where fleeing Palestinians take refuge to contain them and lend a helping hand to them," Hamad said.

He added that "the tragedy that the Palestinian refugees have been subjected to off Malta's shores should draw the attention of the League of Arab States and the Organization of the Islamic Conference to make the required efforts, and actively work to stop their suffering,"

Hamad stressed the government's readiness to receive the Palestinian refugees "We welcome them in their home and among their brothers in the Gaza Strip,"

He pointed out that the government will provide them with assistance, despite its limited resources, calling for concerted efforts to alleviate their plight.

Over 200 Palestinians were aboard a boat which capsized off Malta's coast on Friday.

The Action Group for Palestinians in Syria said earlier that over 200 Palestinians were aboard a boat, which left the Libyan port of Zwara on Thursday, capsized off Malta's coast on Friday.

Some 70 Palestinian refugees survived the shipwreck and are now in Malta, with the rest unaccounted for, the action group reported.

The boat was carrying up to 400 migrants, mostly Syrians.

At least 33 people perished after the boat sank on Friday, a week after another shipwreck off Italy left at least 359 dead, prompting Malta to warn that the Mediterranean was becoming "a cemetery."

Some of the 206 known survivors of the shipwreck said Libyan militiamen shot wildly at them, leaving several people dead and causing the vessel to take on water and sink.

Source: http://alray.ps/en/index.php?act=post&id=2177

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
World Headlines

 


Palestinian Ministry of Health: Developments In The Health Situation During The Israeli Aggression On The Cities & Governorates Of The Gaza Strip
For the second day in a row, the Israeli aggression against the Gaza Strip continues by targeting overcrowded residential areas and neighborhoods, as the death toll rose to 13 citizens, including a 5-year-old girl and a 23-year-old woman... More>>


UN: Horn Of Africa Faces Most ‘Catastrophic’ Food Insecurity In Decades, Warns WHO

The World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Tuesday that the Greater Horn of Africa is experiencing one of the worst famines of the last 70 years... More>>

FAO: Warns 90 Per Cent Of Earth’s Topsoil At Risk By 2050
A full 90 per cent of the Earth’s precious topsoil is likely to be at risk by 2050, according to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO...
More>>


Somalia: ‘We Cannot Wait For Famine To Be Declared; We Must Act Now’
Rising acute food insecurity in Somalia has caused more than 900,000 people to flee their homes in search of humanitarian assistance since January last year, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned... More>>

UN: American West Faces Water And Power Shortages Due To Climate Crisis
Two of the largest reservoirs in the United States are at dangerously low levels due to the climate crisis and overconsumption of water, which could affect water and electricity supply for millions in six western states and Mexico, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) warned on Tuesday... More>>



Singapore: UN Experts Call For Immediate Moratorium On Executions For Drug Offences

UN experts* today condemned the execution of Nazeri Bin Lajim, a 64-year-old Malay Singaporean national convicted of drug offenses and urged the Government of Singapore to halt plans to execute individuals on death row for drug related charges... More>>