Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Fairfax Re-Examines Work of Sacked Journalist

26th October 06

Fairfax Re-Examines Work of Sacked Journalist

Fairfax New Zealand is inquiring into the reliability of newspaper articles written by a journalist dismissed from the Herald on Sunday, which said he faked a news story.

John Manukia, an Auckland-based reporter with the APN-owned Herald on Sunday, was accused by his editor of fabricating an interview with former Auckland police senior sergeant Anthony Solomona. The paper reported on Sunday it had sacked Manukia.

During a 14 year career as a staff and freelance journalist, Manukia worked for a range of media organisations including the Herald on Sunday, Pacific Islands’ radio station Radio 531, the New Zealand Herald, the Sunday News and NZ Truth. The Sunday News and NZ Truth are published by Fairfax New Zealand.

Fairfax New Zealand chief operating officer and editor-in-chief Peter O’Hara said: “As a responsible media organisation we owe it to our readers to ensure that everything we publish is of the highest standard.

“We accept that some mistakes can and will be made by all print and broadcast organisations from time-to-time and we will correct, retract and apologise when this happens. But the deliberate faking of an interview – if that is, indeed, what has happened at the Herald on Sunday – raises concerns of a different dimension for everyone in the wider media community.

“When we became aware of the Herald on Sunday’s claim that Manukia had fabricated the Solomona story we decided we needed to re-examine the output of this journalist during his time with us. We are re-examining work previously published.

’’This does not presume that other articles have been fabricated. We want to make every endeavour to establish the facts.’’

Fairfax is endeavouring to speak with Manukia and its inquiries are ongoing.

Manukia worked for the Sunday News in 2002-2003 and for NZ Truth in 2001.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>