Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 


NZDF at its best in supporting Christchurch

NZDF at its best in supporting Christchurch

The New Zealand Defence Force is performing at its very best in supporting the people of Christchurch, Defence Minister Wayne Mapp says.

Dr Mapp visited NZDF personnel at work throughout the area today with Chief of Defence Force Lieutenant General Rhys Jones, and met Christchurch Mayor Bob Parker in the suburb of Sydenham. The visit was the Minister's third to Christchurch in the past week.

"One of the Defence Force's principal tasks is its role in the Government's response to disasters such as this," he said. "They are doing a first-class job here.

"There has been a wide variety of requests from Civil Defence and Police since the earthquake struck. Units and personnel of all three services have delivered quickly and efficiently on every one," he said.

"In addition, as the situation evolved, the Defence Force has identified opportunities to front-foot its support and has been able to offer some forms of help even before a request was received.


"As of today, almost 1700 personnel are deployed in the Christchurch region Their key activities include air transport, providing security, and general logistic support.

"HMNZS Canterbury is in Wellington loading more supplies including heavy machinery and will return to Lyttelton overnight. HMNZS Otago continues to provide civil defence support to Lyttelton, assisted by Reservists from HMNZS Pegasus, the Christchurch Reserve unit.

"The RNZAF has evacuated 4,271 people from Christchurch since the earthquake, and are still providing air transport between Christchurch and other centres."


Today Dr Mapp visited troops on duty in the CBD, HMNZS Otago in Lyttelton and units at Burnham Military Camp, who have the difficult and demanding task of supporting the victim identification teams at the mortuary there.

He returned to Wellington this afternoon.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>


 

Parliament Today:

Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Parliament
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news