Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

N Shore Mayor succumbs to China Consulate pressure

Immediate Release:

Monday April 2, 2007

North Shore Mayor succumbs to Chinese Consulate pressure

Chinese officials in New Zealand are exerting pressure on sponsors and VIPs in attempts to block support for Divine Performing Arts – an international cultural show to be held at The Civic, April 5, 2007.

A phone call from the Chinese Consular General's office to North Shore City mayor George Wood is the latest in a series of events plaguing the global tour, from the USA to Canada, Europe and Australia.

During their 4-month tour the organisers have experienced some severe inteference from Chinese officials trying to halt New Tang Dynasty Television's Chinese New Year Spectacular and Holiday Wonders shows – now Divine Performing Arts.

Mayor George Wood was planning to attend the show with his wife, but after the phone call last week he backed out.

“I don't want to get involved in internal People's Republic of China politics but I also want to maintain a reasonable relationship with the People's Republic of China. They said that [the show] was involved in Falun Gong, they indicated Falun Gong, and I don't know what the true impact of that is, but it obviously has some concerns for them.”

Divine Performing Arts are devoted to recreating the original and divine cultures of humankind, much of which was destroyed during the 1960s Cultural Revolution.

The show portrays dances and narratives that span thousands of years of culture from China, Tibet and Mongolia, and also incorporates scenes from China's most recent history - namely the repression of people who practice the Falun Gong spiritual system.

“I had indicated that I probably would go to the show, but I'm not going to cause an international kerfuffle by going to something that I don't know anything about. I don't know anything about the Falun Gong or whatever it means. I am a mayor of a city not an international diplomat and I haven't really got the time to analyze the thing out,” Mr Wood said.

He does not think it is appropriate for the consulate to try and influence what shows he will attend.

“I don't feel comfortable having to make decisions as a result of phonecalls I receive from a consulate office and I actually indicated that to the consul official. But at the same time, as a mayor I don't have time to analyse out what the merits are for and against what is being said.”

Other incidents have occured throughout the week, including a contracted advertisement in a Chinese newspaper being cancelled without notice; two shops acting as ticket-selling points withdrawing their support - one saying from outside pressure; and promotional posters were defaced.

Before last week's Sydney premiere of the show the Chinese Consulate sent a letter to New South Wales' politicians with a stern warning, urging them not to attend the show.

In a media release on March 29 Australian Greens MLC Ian Cohen said, "I was surprised by the reactions of both the Embassy official and Henry Tsang MLC against this celebration, as seen on last night's Lateline programme on the ABC. This has made me even more determined to attend the function."

Mr Cohen added, "This is a peaceful cultural spectacular. What type of government officials would condemn such an event? A controversial scene is said to depict the persecution of Falun Gong practitioners by Chinese police. Such persecution is well documented by human rights groups. Art in the West should be free to depict all aspects of society without fear.”

Michelle Ren Divine Performing Arts Lead dancer and choreographer said the interference was common. “They [the Chinese regime] always do these kinds of things.”

Liu Tong the Director of the Spectacular Planning Committee in Chicago said in an interview with The Epoch Times last month, "The regime had taken all measures at all costs to interfere with the NTDTV Spectacular in Chicago this year. They wrote letters and made phone calls to sponsors, government officials, and even the media, attempting to stop them from supporting the show.”

A document was recently obtained by The Epoch Times from China's State Administration of Radio, Film and Television revealing the Chinese Communist Party's attempts to interfere with NTDTV's Chinese New Year shows since the inaugural performance in 2004.

The document orders that the NTDTV New Year Show should be destroyed by "any and all means", and if not possible, to "contain them and minimize their impact."

--

The show is run by New Tang Dynasty Television, a non-profit independent Chinese language television network broadcasting 24/7 in Asia, Europe, North America and Australia.

The New York-based Divine Performing Arts Group has experienced full houses on the current 2007 global tour from America, Europe, Asian to Australia, with the show travelling to Taiwan and Korea after New Zealand.

The shows have produced thundering success season after season – ranked 7th best selling show in the US by Billboard magazine in February 2006. Reports from sell-out seasons in the US and Europe suggest, 2007 is by far the best.


ENDS


Divine Performing Arts New Zealand 2007 show dates:

The Civic, The Edge, Auckland City

Thursday April 5, 2007

2pm and 7.30pm

Tickets available through Ticketek on (09) 307 5000 or ticketek.co.nz

Or contact Divine Performing Arts hotline: (09) 638 3497

Prices range from $95 to $55 and concessions are available

http://shows.ntdtv.com

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Crowdsale And Crowdfunding Campaign: Help Create The Future Of Independent News

Two weeks to go! The Scoop 3.0 plan aims to create NZ’s first community-owned, distributed news and media intelligence ecosystem in 2019. We believe this ScoopPro media monetisation approach can be scaled and spread globally to support local and independent news efforts in regional New Zealand and around the world.

Scoop is an ecosystem, it would not exist without those who contribute to it, read it and rely on it for professional media purposes. Generous past support from this ecosystem has enabled us to come this far in developing our business model. Support our PledgeMe Campaign>>

 

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Royal Commission Into Child Abuse

Obviously, it is good news that the coalition government has broadened the scope of its Royal Commission into the abuse of children, beyond its previous focus on children in state care. More>>

ALSO:

Cases Delayed: Court Staff Refuse To Handle Sentencing Papers

Dozens of court cases have reportedly been delayed, as court staff escalate industrial action at two Auckland courts by enforcing a ban on handling sentencing papers. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Primary Teachers Rolling Strikes

RNZ Report: More than 100,000 primary school students in Auckland will be home from school today as teachers and principals walk off the job for the second time this year. It's the start of a week of rolling one-day strikes around the country, after the collapse of contract negotiations last Thursday. More>>

ALSO:

"Process Was Sound": Inquiry Into Haumaha Appointment Released

The Inquiry’s purpose was to examine, identify, and report on the adequacy of the process that led to the appointment. It found the process was sound and no available relevant information was omitted. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels