Winners of ACENZ INNOVATE NZ Awards of Excellence 2011
Winners of ACENZ INNOVATE NZ Awards of Excellence 2011 announced
The best of engineering design in New
Zealand has been celebrated at the ACENZ INNOVATE NZ Awards
of Excellence 2011.
The awards, organised by the Association of Consulting Engineers NZ (ACENZ), celebrate innovation in design and execution of consulting engineering services by ACENZ members.
Eight Gold Awards of Excellence were presented this year, including three to major Auckland water infrastructure projects: the Rosedale Wastewater Treatment Plant Tunnel by AECOM, Aurecon, Tonkin & Taylor and McConnell Dowell; The Wastewater Network Strategic Improvement Project by Opus International Consultants Ltd & Sinclair Knight Merz, and Watercare Project Hobson by Aurecon & Sinclair Knight Merz
Gold awards also went to two other Auckland projects, the Auckland Harbour Bridge Box Girder Strengthening and the New Lynn Rail Trench & New Lynn Station, both by Beca.
The Silver Fern Farms Bubbling Fluidised Bed Boiler in Balclutha by Aurecon, the USAR Specialists - Response to the Christchurch Earthquake by Aurecon & Holmes Consulting Group and the Waitomo Caves Visitor Centre by Dunning Thornton Consultants Ltd were also Gold winners.
Eight Silver Awards of Excellence were presented. Auckland winners were the Lion Integrated Beverage Facility, “The Pride” and the SH20 Manukau Harbour Crossing, both by Beca, and the Torpedo Beach Enhancement on North Shore by Tonkin & Taylor.
Wellington silver award winners were the Alan MacDiarmid Building at Victoria University by Dunning Thornton Consultants and the Johnsonville Rail Tunnel Clearance Assessment by Aurecon.
Other silver winners were the Southern Cross Endoscopy Consultants’ Building in Christchurch by Structex, the Alpine Aqualand (aka Queenstown Aquatic Centre) by LHTDesign and the Cassidy International Airport Runway Repairs in Kiribas by AECOM.
Fourteen Awards of Merit were also presented at the awards ceremony at a gala dinner at the ACENZ annual conference in Rotorua on Saturday, 6 August.
Convenor of Judges Allan Leahy said projects had undergone a very rigorous judging process, with entrants having to demonstrate that their projects were outstanding – with assertions fully tested by judges and usually confirmed with the client, the contractor and by site inspection.
“These awards celebrate the supreme of the consulting industry,” he said. “All of the finalists had to demonstrate above the norm technical expertise, innovation, complexity and, above all, client service.”
INNOVATE NZ Awards of Excellence 2011 Winners
Gold Awards of
• Auckland Harbour Bridge Box Girder Strengthening
• New Lynn Rail Trench & New Lynn Station
• Rosedale Wastewater Treatment Plant Tunnel
• Silver Fern Farms Bubbling Fluidised Bed Boiler
• USAR Specialists - Response to the Christchurch Earthquake
• Waitomo Caves Visitor Centre
• Wastewater Network Strategic Improvement
• Watercare Project Hobson
Silver Awards of Excellence
• Alan MacDiarmid Building (Wellington) by Dunning Thornton Consultants Ltd
• Alpine Aqualand (aka Queenstown Aquatic Centre) by LHTDesign Ltd
• Cassidy International Airport Runway Repairs (Christmas Island, Kiribati) by AECOM
• Johnsonville Rail Tunnel Clearance Assessment (Wellington) by Aurecon
• Lion Integrated Beverage Facility, “The Pride” (Auckland) by Beca
• SH20 Manukau Harbour Crossing (Auckland) by Beca
• Southern Cross Endoscopy Consultants' Building (Christchurch) by Structex
• Torpedo Beach Enhancement (North Shore) by Tonkin & Taylor Ltd
Awards of Merit
• Crawford St Coldstore Hub (Hamilton) by
Sinclair Knight Merz
• East Taupo Arterial by Holmes Consulting Group & Sinclair Knight Merz
• Nelson Technical Hangar No. 1 by Aurecon
• Nga Awa Purua Geothermal - Steam Separation System by Sinclair Knight Merz
• NMIT Arts and Media (Nelson) by Aurecon
• Pukaki Canal Intake Structure Repairs by Damwatch Services Ltd
• SH2 Dowse to Petone Highway (Wellington) by Beca
• SH36 Mangorewa - Kaharoa Gorge Improvements (Rotorua) by Opus International Consultants Ltd
• Silverstream Landfill Development (Wellington) by Tonkin & Taylor Ltd
• Taharoa Fish Pass by Tonkin & Taylor Ltd
• Taupo Pellet Manufacturing Facility by Holmes Fire & Safety
• Trafalgar Park Sports Lighting (Nelson) by Aurecon
• Wairere Drive/Crosby Roundabout (Hamilton) by AECOM
• Oakura Sewerage Scheme by GHD
For more information or images
suitable for publication on any of these projects, visit the