Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Chamber supports Minister’s call for regional action


Wellington Employers’ Chamber of Commerce


Tuesday 21st July 2015

Chamber supports Minister’s call for regional action


Local Government Minister Paula Bennett has hit the nail on the head with her call for councils to look at growth from a regional point of view, says Wellington Employers’ Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive John Milford.
Mrs Bennett made the comments to the Local Government NZ annual conference in Rotorua today.

“Councils have an obligation to set the right environment for business to create more jobs, and I welcome the Minister’s comments around how local government needs to go about achieving that.

“Businesses need the right environment to create more jobs. There has to be a focus on sustainable growth and sensible spending on reliable infrastructure.

“The Wellington Employers’ Chamber of Commerce has talked about this very thing for quite some time now.

“This is more than just about shared services. As the Minister says, it’s time to take a mature look at the structure that is needed to lock-in change.
“It’s clear that Wellington can’t continue as we have. We must look at growth in a regional context and if the current structure doesn’t support that then we must change it to something that will work.

“That was the message behind the whole reason for amalgamation, and the need for change remains despite the fact that that commission’s initial recommendation didn’t find overwhelming favour.

“We need to consider options such as different business structures or increased responsibilities and accountabilities for regional councils, or even installing CCOs for key growth and infrastructure, which might mean doing away with regional councils.

“The Chamber backs the call for local government to live within its means.

“In the latest financial year, across the country council wages and salaries increased 2.3 per cent – the highest since 2012 and well above the CPI, the central government, and private sectors – and that’s not good enough.

“Councils have to look at what’s driving expenditure. In Wellington, business ratepayers pay 46% of the rates, yet make up only 21% of rateable property.
Rates over the next 10 years are set to increase by 62%, and that remains a real concern because 80% of that is just business as usual, leaving the remaining 20% for additional invest-to-grow projects.

“That’s not much extra to support local investment and growth, but it seems too much for just business as usual spending.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Statistics: Food Prices Increase 7.4 Percent Annually
Food prices were 7.4 percent higher in July 2022 compared with July 2021, Stats NZ said today... More>>



REINZ: Market Activity And Prices Continue To Ease, First Home Buyers Start To Return To The Market

New Zealand’s winter property market continues its recent trend, slowing from the pace of sales and price rises of last year — properties stay on the market longer and median prices dip... More>>

FMA: Cigna Admits Making False And Misleading Representations
Cigna Life Insurance New Zealand Limited has admitted to making false and/or misleading representations to customers in proceedings brought by the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) – Te Mana Tātai Hokohoko... More>>



Retail NZ: Welcomes Return Of Cruise Ships

“Cruise visitors were big spenders in retail prior to COVID-19, and retailers in Auckland will be celebrating the arrival of P&O’s Pacific Explorer this morning... More>>



ASB: Full Year Results: Building Resilience Today And For Our Future

In its 175th year, ASB has reported a cash net profit after tax of $1,418 million for the 12 months to 30 June 2022, an increase of $122 million or 9% on the prior year... More>>


Commerce Commission: Draft Determination On News Publishers’ Association’s Collective Bargaining Application
The Commerce Commission (Commission) has reached a preliminary view that it should allow the News Publishers’ Association of New Zealand (NPA) to collectively negotiate with Meta and Google... More>>