New Zealand’s Top Sausages Announced
New Zealand’s Top Sausages Announced
New World Te Rapa, Hamilton and Westmere Butchery, Auckland have been announced as the Supreme Award winners for the 2018 Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition at an awards dinner in Auckland this evening. The judges couldn’t split Westmere Butchery’s beef and mushroom sausage and an Angus beef sausage from New World Te Rapa, instead crowning them joint winners of the Supreme Award in what is believed to be a first for the competition.
David Rossiter, owner of Westmere Butchery, has had over 45 years in the industry and it is fair to say his store has become a butchery institution in Auckland. He said of his victory: “It’s fantastic to win this award, it’s a dream come true, not just for me but for all the boys at the shop and every staff member. We’ll be celebrating for sure.”
Chris Nicol, who has worked in the industry for 25 years, heads up the butchery team at New World Te Rapa, said of his store’s win: “We have won a couple of awards in the Devro Great New Zealand Sausage competition but never taken the top spot before. It’s an unbelievable feeling. It’s come at a tough time for us, we’ve been short of staff and we’ve needed people to step up and they did. It makes me so proud of my team and to be part of the industry.”
Leading foodwriter and author, Kathy Paterson was tasked with the challenge of being Head Aesthetic Judge and was glowing in her assessment of the two Supreme Award winners as well as the general standard across the competition: “Throughout this year’s competition, the standard has been phenomenal. Flavours have been well thought through, the quality of the butchery has been impeccable and as a result it has created a really tough, but enjoyable, job for the judges.
“In the past we’ve always had a sausage that has stood outbut trying to find an outright Supreme Award winner this year was near on impossible. The panel of judges could make compelling cases for both winners and in the end we knew the fairest thing to do was crown them both.”
The journey to Supreme status for the winning sausages has been a long and rigorous process. Over 480 entries from over 90 stores entered sausages into the 13 categories and were judged over a two-day snarler extravaganza last month by a squad of butchers, foodies, chefs and industry heavyweights.
From here, gold, silver and bronze medals were awarded in each category with the gold medallists then being re-judged against one another, with Westmere Butchery and New World Te Rapa’s sausages coming out on top.
The announcement of New Zealand’s top tasting banger comes just in time for National Sausage Day tomorrow – Friday 19 October – as Kiwis across the country fire up their barbies for Labour Weekend.
The success for Westmere Butchery and its head honcho David Rossiter this evening came hot on the heels of being awarded the People’s Choice Award for the 2018 Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition achieving the rare feat of winning both titles.
The Devro New Zealand Wildcard winner was awarded to Peter Timbs Meats in Christchurch for producing the highest scoring sausage in a Devro casing, with their Hot Chorizo.
During the glamourous awards dinner, entrants and industry figures were treated to the inaugural Trans-Tasman Sausage Showdown which saw New Zealand come out on top.
The challenge was to turn 9kgs of beef trim into a delicious sausage mix, fill and then link the sausages as quickly as possible. Team New Zealand made up of Sharp Blacks captain Corey Winder and fellow team member Jeremy Garth operated like a well-oiled machine to stop the clock at a remarkable 6 minutes and 18 seconds to take out the title.
Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition 2018 full results:
2018 Supreme Award New World Te Rapa, Angus Beef
Westmere Butchery, Beef and Mushroom
2018 People’s Choice Award Westmere Butchery, Beef and Mushroom
Devro NZ Wildcard Award* Peter
Timbs Meats, Hot Chorizo
2018 Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition Medallists:
• Gold: New World Te Rapa Angus Beef
• Silver (joint): Hellers Ltd Hellers Angus
• Silver (joint): Leonard's Superior Smallgoods Old English Beef
• Bronze: Countdown Angus Beef
• Gold: L'Authentique Pure Pork
• Silver: The Kiwi Butcher Shop Pure Pork
• Bronze: Moos Baas & Oinks Pure Pork
• Gold: New World Stonefields Smokey Chicken, Coriander & Garlic
• Silver (joint): New World Stonefields Chicken, Coriander, Garlic & Mild Chilli
• Silver (joint): Grey Lynn Butchers Free Range Chicken and Truffle
• Bronze: Raeward Fresh Tower Junction The Senorita
• Gold: Cattermoles Butchery Kaiapoi Smoked Saveloy
• Silver: Akaroa Butchery & Deli Cotechino
• Bronze: Morepork BBQ Pork Hot Dog
• Gold: M & M Master Butchers Pork Flavoured
• Silver: Esk Valley Meats Lamb & Mint Flavoured
• Bronze (joint): Hellers Ltd Hellers Pork Flavour
• Bronze (joint): New World Greenmeadows Pork Flavoured
Category: Continental Fresh
• Gold: PAKn'SAVE Riccarton Italian Casalinga
• Silver (joint): Foodstuffs South Island/ Pams Italian Lamb
• Silver (joint): New World Stanmore Italian Pork
• Bronze (joint): Aussie Butcher New Lynn Bratwurst
• Bronze (joint): Avon's Butchery Italian Fennel Pork
Category: Continental Ready-to-Eat
• Gold (joint): Zamora Picante Salami
• Gold (joint): Peter Timbs Meats Hot Chorizo
• Silver: The Butchers Block & Beef Classic Salami
• Bronze: Ashby's Butchery Bell's Original Pepperoni
• Gold: Leonard's Superior Smallgoods Black Pudding
• Silver: Cameron Harrison Butchery Black Pudding
• Bronze: Wild Game Salamis Wild Venison French Black Pudding
• Gold (joint): M & M Master Butchers Cumberland Pork
• Gold (joint): L'Authentique Pork & Fennel
• Silver: Raeward Fresh Queenstown Free Range Pork, Fresh Apple & Toasted Fennel Seeds
• Bronze: The Produce Company Pork & Fennel
Category: Gourmet Beef
• Gold (joint): Westmere Butchery Beef & Mushroom
• Gold (joint): New World Stanmore Roast Beef, Horseradish & Beetroot
• Silver: New World Greenmeadows Beef, Truffle & Parmesan
• Bronze: Hellers Ltd Hellers Sticky Ginger Beef
Category: Gourmet Pork
• Gold: Whenuapai Meat Merchant Free Range Pork, Sweet Gala Apple & Sage
• Silver (joint): Aussie Butcher New Lynn Ben's Jalapeno & Smokey Cheese Sausage
• Silver (joint): Avon's Butchery Pork & Cranberry
• Bronze (joint): New World Bishopdale Pork Breakfast
• Bronze (joint): New World Havelock North Pork & Paua
• Gold: Eastbourne Village Meats Red Roma
• Silver: Euro Gourmet Meats Drunken Lamb & Onion
• Bronze: Aussie Butcher New Lynn Moroccan Lamb
Category: Gourmet Beef
• Gold (joint): Sausages by Design Naked Pure Pork
• Gold (joint): Agora - Butchery & Deli Lentil, Kumara & Masala
• Silver: PAKn'SAVE Cameron Road Vegetarian
• Bronze: Grey Lynn Butchers Goan Chourico
The Devro Great New Zealand Sausage competition’s mission is to seek out New Zealand's best and tastiest sausages giving New Zealander's access to more variety, better choice and greater quality sausages. Sausage makers from across the country perfect their recipes in preparation for the competition in the hopes of being announced the Supreme Winner. With over 480 sausages from over 90 stores being judged, the competition sees the humble, classic Kiwi sausage pushing the boundaries for flavour and innovation. The Devro Great New Zealand Sausage Competition is kindly sponsored by Devro, Kiwi Labels, Big Chill Distribution, Kerry Ingredients, Pure South and Alto.
The Devro New Zealand Wildcard Award*
The top scoring product which is produced in Devro collagen casing will be named Devro New Zealand Wildcard winner. All entries from the 13 categories made in a Devro collagen casing are automatically entered.