Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | News Video | Crime | Employers | Housing | Immigration | Legal | Local Govt. | Maori | Welfare | Unions | Youth | Search

 

Wellington Rape Crisis forced to cut services


Media Release for immediate release

13 August 2012

Wellington Rape Crisis forced to cut services

Wellington Rape Crisis (WRC) is extremely disappointed to announce that, due to lack of funding, it is cutting services by 20 percent by closing its doors one day week.

Wellington Rape Crisis Agency Manager, Natalie Gousmett says “We have been providing free services to survivors of rape and sexual abuse and their support people for 35 years. Demand has doubled over the last year so we know how important it is that these services are available and accessible for every person affected by rape and sexual abuse”

“Wellington Rape Crisis costs around $300,000 a year to run and we only need to raise another $55,000 before April 2013 to break even. We provide extremely effective and efficient services that benefit the whole community. It would be a tragedy if that service were no longer available to people in the Wellington region”.

Neil[1], a father of a survivor and current client of Wellington Rape Crisis says “I was concerned about my daughter and felt I had nowhere else to go. Without the support and practical, appropriate guidance I received at Rape Crisis I would have been struggling personally”.

Wellington Rape Crisis is hoping the community will recognise the importance of the work we do and make donations either individually or from organisations to our Fundy page. WRC will be closed on Fridays from Friday 17 August 2012.

Ends


Note to editors
An estimated 1 in 4 women and 1 in 20 men in New Zealand will be victims of a sexual assault at some point in their lives.[2]
Wellington Rape Crisis provides free information, Social Work Support and Counselling to survivors of rape and sexual abuse and their support people. We also provide community education and primary prevention programmes.
In 2010-2011 WRC had 543 client contacts and in 2011-2012 WRC had 995 client contacts. In the same periods ongoing clients increased from 140 to 179[3].

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Gordon Campbell: On The America’s Cup, Critical Race Theory And A New, Weekly Music Playlist

So… Why don’t they just cut to the chase, and call it the Emirates Cup? As this column predicted several months ago, the next America’s Cup challenge is headed overseas. Here’s what Werewolf said back in March:
Emirates has made a major commitment to Portsmouth/Isle of Wight as a sailing centre of excellence – and voila, that’s where the next challenger of record is coming from, and where the next Cup contest could well be sailed. Such incredible luck for Emirates, right..? More>>

 

Government: Plan For Vaccine Rollout For General Population Announced

New Zealanders over 60 will be offered a vaccination from July 28 and those over 55 from August 11, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced today... More>>

ALSO:



Government: America’s Cup Decision

The Minister responsible for the America’s Cup has confirmed the joint Crown-Auckland Council offer to host the next regatta has been declined by the Board of Team New Zealand... More>>

ALSO:


Jewish Council: New Zealand Not Immune From Rise In Antisemitism

The representative body of New Zealand Jewry, the NZ Jewish Council (NZJC), has expressed concern about the high number of antisemitic incidents in New Zealand recorded last month. Spokesperson for the NZJC, Juliet Moses, said... More>>

NZNO: Nurses Reject DHB Offer And Confirm Strike Action

The New Zealand Nurses Organisation says its 30,000 members who work in DHBs have voted overwhelmingly to reject a second offer in their current round of multi-employer collective agreement (MECA) negotiations... More>>

ALSO:


 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels