Scoop has an Ethical Paywall
Work smarter with a Pro licence Learn More

World Video | Defence | Foreign Affairs | Natural Events | Trade | NZ in World News | NZ National News Video | NZ Regional News | Search


INDONESIA: Journalist beaten as police clash

* Pacific Media Watch Online:


Detikworld, September 3, 2000
Reporter: Abdul Haerah HR/ GB

JAKARTA: Tahar, a journalist from the Berita Kota newspaper, has been beaten by two members of Indonesia's military police after finding himself in the middle of an altercation between the military police, out partying after hours, and a local policeman.

Tahar had been sent out to cover a death by overdose story in Makassar, the capital of South Sulawesi, in the early hours of Sunday morning, 3 September 2000. He met Senior Inspector Mardjuki, Commander of the Panakkukang police precinct at the station and the two arrived at the scene around 3am local time.

The scene was only a short distance from the police station and the two headed back around 4 am, passing along the way the Kawanua Mas, a local night spot. Mardjuki told Tahar that he had warned the owner to close as the club's licence only ran to 2am before arriving at the scene of the overdose.

When Mardjuki attempted to enter the building, two members of the military police came out suddenly. The two in question were later revealed to be Captain Marpaung and Second Lieutenant Edward of the military police attached to the Wirabuana VII military territorial command, which covers the island of Sulawesi.

"We're friends of David's [the night spot owner]," said Marpaung. At that stage, Tahar dismounted his Vespar but stood on the sidelines. The two military police officers, the owner, Mardjuki and Tahar then proceeded to the police station. Tahar waited outside as the four argued in Mardjukiâ's office.

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading

Are you getting our free newsletter?

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.

"We're like one force, that's not how you're acting," Marpaung reportedly told Mardjuki.

As tempers flared, Tahar poked his head in, asked to photograph them and

quickly snapped them in action before receiving an answer. Naturally, the two military [police did not accept this and set on the reporter, beating him and destroying the camera with the offending photo. Taharâ's walkie talkie and press card were also taken in the assault.

"You're a cat shit journo. I'm not afraid, go ahead and write about this," Marpaung yelled. Mardjuki attempted to stop the assault by warning the two against attacking journalists but they did not stop until satisfied.

Mardjuki phoned the district Commander asking for backup and 10 members of the Makassar central police arrived shortly after. Marpaung also called his junior offices and it became evident that the two were on duty at the time. Tahar also attempted to call a fellow journalist but was prevented from doing so by Marpaung.

When the additional police arrived, Marpaung continued his tirade which was answered with equal ferocity from the back up. Marpaung then drew his gun and challenged one officer to a duel.

"We have nothing more to say, step forward if you're brave enough," Marpaung yelled. The other 9 officers then drew their weapons.

The two military police then realised they were in over their heads and retreated to another room in the precinct. Shortly after, 8 military police officers arrived and Marpuang proceeded to deny beating Tahar.

"Who beat you?" Marpaung said.

Seeing things had settled down somewhat, Tahar insisted that the two be held responsible and that they return his walkie talkie and press card.

The highest ranking military police officer then attempted to persuade Tahar against exacerbating the situation and David, the owner of the bar, offered Tahar money to drop the issue.

Tahar, however, was adamant that the 2 military police own up.

"The chief of the precinct is my witness!" said Tahar, vowing to take the matter to the men's superiors.

The assault has been condemned by the Makassar branch of the Independent

Journalists Alliance (AJI).

"They must be punished," said Suparno, coordinator of the Workers Union and Advocacy division to Detikworld Sunday morning, September 3.



PACIFIC MEDIA WATCH is an independent, non-profit, non-government organisation comprising journalists, lawyers, editors and other media workers, dedicated to examining issues of ethics, accountability, censorship, media freedom and media ownership in the Pacific region. Launched in October 1996, it has links with the Journalism Program at the University of the South Pacific, Bushfire Media, the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism, and Pactok Communications, in Sydney and Port Moresby.

(c)1996-2000 Copyright - All rights reserved.

Items are provided solely for review purposes as a non-profit educational service. Copyright remains the property of the original producers as indicated. Recipients should seek permission from the copyright owner for any publishing. Copyright owners not wishing their materials to be posted by PMW please contact us. The views expressed in material listed by PMW are not necessarily the views of PMW or its members.

Recipients should rely on their own inquiries before making decisions based on material listed in PMW. Please copy appeals to PMW and acknowledge source.

For further information, inquiries about joining the Pacific Media Watch

listserve, articles for publication, and giving feedback contact Pacific

Media Watch at: E-mail: or: Fax: (+679) 30 5779 or (+612) 9660 1804 Mail: PO Box 9, Annandale, NSW 2038, Australia or, c/o Journalism, PO Box 1168, Suva, Fiji New website:

© Scoop Media

Advertisement - scroll to continue reading
World Headlines


Join Our Free Newsletter

Subscribe to Scoop’s 'The Catch Up' our free weekly newsletter sent to your inbox every Monday with stories from across our network.