Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Wellington’s local safety heroes recognised

Wellington’s local safety heroes recognised

Quick-thinking teenagers, brave first-aiders, resolute pedestrian advocates and a very special 6-year-old were some of the remarkable Wellingtonians honoured last night for keeping their fellow Capital residents safe.

The tenth annual Safety in the City Awards celebrated safety and community-mindedness in Wellington in a ceremony held at the St James with certificates presented by Mayor Celia Wade-Brown, Wellington Police Area Commander Inspector Chris Scahill, MC’d by Councillor Paul Eagle.

The aim of Safety in the City is to recognise deserving recipients: people who were in the right place at the right time to save lives, or have worked tirelessly—often with little recognition—to keep Wellington and Wellingtonians safe.

This year’s recipients include an exceptional young man who swam for hours in freezing water to try and save another’s life, two teenagers who managed a bus incident on Manners Street, a woman who went to the aid of an injured cyclist, and some of our most dedicated local volunteers and safety advocates. The full list is below.

Ms Wade-Brown said the stories of the award recipients showed courage and passion.

“These awards recognise people who have shown courage in a particular situation, and those who have worked tirelessly to keep Wellington and Wellingtonians safe. They show a willingness to put other people first,” she said.

“Our city’s safety is important for residents and for our international reputation.”

This year it was also combined with the Wellington Airport Regional Community Awards and the Royal Humane Society awards.

Two police officers received a Bronze Medal from the Royal Humane Society which recognises outstanding acts of bravery where rescuers have put themselves at personal risk to save someone in dangerous circumstances.

Full list of Safety in the City recipients

Konefereisi Aperila: Spent 45 minutes in freezing water off Miramar Wharf trying to save a man on March 15.

Mohammad Ali Amiri: Given countless hours of his time volunteering as a City Safety Camera feed monitor, a civil defence worker, a member of the Wellington South Community Patrol and a justice of the peace.

Chris Horne: Spent many years improving pedestrian access across Wellington.

Anita Busby: Rushed to the aid of a cyclist who had been hit by a truck and was badly injured on March 1.

Noura Msahli-Samasoni and Shahnell Ngahere: Performed first aid on a woman hit by a bus in Manners Mall then reassured the traumatised bus driver on February 24.

Heather Henare: Women's rights advocate and chief executive of Women's Refuge since 2006.

Ethan Hamilton: 9-year-old who saved the life of a drowning 4-year-old at Kilbirnie Pool last September.

Skylah John: 6-year-old who called emergency services when her mother Sharleen collapsed in their kitchen from chest pains on February 13.

Ellen Blake: Walking advocate who walked the proposed Transmission Gully motorway route and lobbied for the inclusion of pedestrian facilities.

David Laing: Cycling advocate who developed a safety programme to teach bus drivers and cyclists about each others limitations by getting them to switch roles.

Kitty Holmes and Ray Chi Chung Cheung: Performed first aid on a man who fell and hit his head near the corner of Wakefield and Taranaki streets on May 10.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Max Rashbrooke: A Failure Of Measurement: Inside The Budget Lock-Up

Shortly after the embargo lifted at 2pm news organisations started filing reports claiming that health, and to a lesser extent housing and education, were the ‘big winners’ out of the Budget. It failed to take into account the fact that in most cases the apparent increases were in fact cuts. Because of the twin effects of inflation and population. More>>

ALSO:

DOCtored Figures: Minister Clarifies DOC Budget

“Commentators have overlooked the fact $20.7m of that perceived shortfall is new funding for Battle for our Birds 2016, provided for in last week’s Budget...” DOC also has approval in principle to carry over a further $20m to 16/17 due to unexpected delays in a number of projects. More>>

ALSO:

For The Birds: Gordon Campbell On The Budget

Budgies, so their Wikipedia page says, are popular pets around the world due to their small size, low cost, and ability to mimic human speech. Which is a reasonably good description of Finance Minister Bill English eighth Budget. . More>>

Max Rashbrooke On The 2016 Budget

The best label for this year’s announcement by Bill English might be the ‘Bare Minimum Budget’. It does the bare minimum to defuse potential political damage in a range of areas – homelessness and health are prime among them – but almost nothing to address the country’s most deep-rooted, systemic social problems. Indeed the Budget hints that these problems may get worse. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Bank Scandals (And Air Crashes)

Last month, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) filed proceedings against Westpac over activities that have some distinct echoes of the Libor scandal. More>>

Budget: Health Funding Must Keep Up With Need

NZNO: “The nursing team has been doing more with less for years. It’s getting to the point that we’re really worried about our colleagues, our patients, our jobs and the level of health care available for people in our country." More>>

ALSO:

Emissions Inventory: Time For The Government To Do The Right Thing

It’s time for the National Government to step up and do the right thing to reduce climate pollution as data shows New Zealand’s greenhouse gas emissions are higher than ever, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Budget 2016: More Partnership Schools To Open

Seven new schools will join the eight Partnership Schools already open, along with further new schools opening in 2017. “The growth of this policy is a reflection of the high level of interest from educators and community leaders,” Mr Seymour says. More>>

ALSO:

No Correspondence With English: Did Brownlee Make Up Sale Of Navy Ships ‘On The Hoof?’

Having revealed that several Royal New Zealand Navy vessels have not left port in years, New Zealand First is now asking the Minister of Defence to prove he did not come up with the idea of selling HMNZS Taupo and Pukaki until the media asked him. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news