Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Wellingtonians keen to get their city moving

Wellingtonians want better public transport and fewer cars in more liveable central city streets and are backing a number of exciting plans to get the capital moving, says Wellington Mayor Justin Lester.

Let’s Get Wellington Moving (LGWM), a joint initiative between Wellington City Council, Wellington Regional Council and the New Zealand Transport Agency, has today released the results of a survey of residents (ranging from inner city to the wider Wellington region) on the city’s transport problems.

It shows there is:

· 63 percent support for light rail to the airport via Newtown (13 percent oppose)

· 62 percent support for bus rapid transit on major routes (7 percent oppose)

· 62 percent support for an extra Mt Victoria tunnel, with separate cycling and walking lanes (9 percent oppose)

· 57 percent for dedicated public transport lanes on the Golden Mile (11 percent oppose)

· 56 percent support for a tunnel under Te Aro for State Highway 1 traffic (11 percent oppose)

· 53 percent support for a tunnel under the Basin Reserve (11 percent oppose).

At least two-thirds of people were affected by at least one of the following: slow car trips through the city, slow bus trips, too many cars, cycling or walking safety.

“The survey shows just how many Wellingtonians are affected by transport problems and they want us to do something,” the Mayor says.

“The single biggest thing they want us to tackle is improving public transport, and many are telling us that without having to be asked.”

“There is most support for light rail to the airport and bus rapid transit, which shows people want other options than cars,” Mayor Lester says.

“We need to invest to deliver the things they want, such as increased frequency, better reliability and cheaper fares so we can have a city less dominated by cars.”

Mayor Lester noted the strong support for a second Mt Victoria tunnel and a Te Aro tunnel, but also support for a second Terrace tunnel (49 percent support, 15 percent oppose).

“People want an arterial route that takes traffic off Vivian Street and Karo Drive and out of the heart of the city.”

Councillor Chris Calvi-Freeman, who is on the LGWM governance group and holds the Council’s transport strategy portfolio, also welcomed the public mood for better public transport and getting cars out of the city.

“It comes as no surprise that there’s strong support for a game-changing improvement to public transport, especially light rail from Wellington to the southern and eastern suburbs,” he says.

“It’s also no surprise that business interests in the eastern and southern suburbs and commuters who are not going into the city centre want the extra capacity of a second tunnel.

“After what must seem like a long period of gestation we are getting to an exciting stage where Wellingtonians will be able to see an agreed programme of investment and see something started.

“Wellingtonians will look forward to reaching a stage of the project where indeed we can get Wellington moving.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

KiwiBailed: KiwiBuild Head Officially Resigns

The head of Kiwibuild, Stephen Barclay has officially resigned from the role. In a statement issued on his behalf, it was announced that he would step down from today [Friday].

Housing Minister Phil Twyford's office said he would not be commenting on Mr Barclay's resignation as it was an employment matter. Last month, Mr Twyford confirmed that Mr Barclay had not been at work for a number of weeks. More>>

 

Welfare Stats: Rise In Hardship Numbers Shows Income Inadequacy

The latest Ministry of Social Development quarterly report show that a record number of people have received hardship assistance from work and income, with an additional 40,000 hardship payments made between September and December 2018, compared to the previous quarter of the same year... More>>

ALSO:

DHBs "Prepared": Junior Doctors Strike Again

The needs of acute patients will be met during tomorrow's junior doctor strike, a DHB spokesperson says... Almost 3000 junior doctors are expected to walk off the job, which will affect all DHBs apart from West Coast District Health Board. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On MBIE’s Social Media Scam

Given the ambit of MBIE’s work, almost any form of social activity could qualify as being part of MBIE’s brief, so the privacy threats posed by this training programme are extensive. The current oversight safeguards seem threadbare to non-existent. More>>

ALSO:

JusTrade: New Campaign For A 21th Century Trade Agenda

‘Critique is no longer enough. If anything is to really change, we need to step away from the existing framework and take a first-principles approach to rethinking what will work for the 21st century.’ More>>

Earlier:

Gordon Campbell: Thompson + Clark Are The Tip Of The Iceberg

How can we tell where and how any lines are being drawn? Oversight is not exactly robust. If it were, Thompson + Clark would have been out of contention for state security work ten years ago. More>>

Trainers: Taratahi Institute of Agriculture In Interim Liquidation

Taratahi employ 250 staff and this year has provided education to over 2500 students. Taratahi owns and manages 8 farms throughout the country. More>>

ALSO:

IPCA Report: Complaints About Deputy Commissioner Wallace Haumaha

The Authority has found that DC Haumaha acted improperly by approaching staff and others to provide information to support him to refute the allegations about his 2016 conduct, or solicited other staff to do so on his behalf... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels