Scoop Coverage: Key, Whale Oil, Hager And Dirty Politics
Scoop Coverage: Key, Whale Oil, Hager And Dirty PoliticsCoverage of the reaction and fallout from Nicky Hager's book Dirty Politics.
Page is being updated (from the top) as events unfold.
On 2 October 2014, Nicky Hager's home in Wellington was searched by police. Mr Hager asserted that documents kept at his house were protected by privilege, including because they contained information that might identify confidential sources...
Mr Hager has now had a chance to consult his lawyers. He believes even more strongly that the Police have acted outside of the law in seizing his property and seeking to search through all of his documents. Mr Hager has decided to challenge the Police's actions by way of judicial review. He expects to launch those proceedings during the next few days.
In the meantime, the Police are asserting that there is no valid claim for privilege over the documents. More>>
Dr RUSSEL NORMAN (Co-Leader – Green) to the Prime Minister: How many times since November 2008 has he spoken with blogger Cameron Slater on the phone and how many times, if any, has he texted him?
Rt Hon JOHN KEY (Prime Minister): None in my capacity as Prime Minister. More>>
- Parliament Today - Speaker’s Ruling On Questions And Responsibility - Ministers Warned About Answering Questions Properly
- Parliament Today - Speaker Questions PM’s Slater Sidestep - Spotlight on PM’s Links to WhaleOil
- Parliament Today - VIDEO: PM Grilled on Links to WhaleOil
- TV3 Video - Video: Key, Slater 'BFFs'? - Peters
- 2010 image Muscular Dystrophy Association - John Key wears famous Poirot bow tie
- NZ Herald Out-Links - Ex-pizza boss Matt Blomfield: Whaleoil and me - Police review complaint against Whaleoil blogger
- Out-Link - The Hager saga continues • Hard News • Public Address
- Out-Link - New Zealand Cops Raided Home of Reporter Working on Snowden Documents - The Intercept
- Out-Link - Help Support New Zealand Investigative Reporter Nicky Hager’s Legal Defense Fund | Freedom of the Press Foundation
- Out-Link - New Zealand police raided home of reporter working on Snowden documents. Here's how you can support his defense. - Boing Boing
Hacker Search vs Journalism: Police Raid Nicky Hager's House, Seize Computers
The police spent over ten hours searching the house and removing property in an attempt to discover the identity of the person who provided information used in my book Dirty Politics.
Soon after the police arrived, the lead detective stated that I was not a suspect in their case, merely a witness. I spoke to him by phone and informed him that he would find no information in the house about my source. Nonetheless, he and his four colleagues seized a large collection of papers and electronic equipment belonging to my family, including computers, drives, phones, CDs, an IPOD and a camera. More>>
- Gordon Campbell - On the Hager Raid
- Labour - Journalists have right to protect sources
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: Doing over Hager's place
- Out-Link - Doing over the witness • Hard News • Public Address
- TV3 Video - Nicky Hager's house raided by police
- Out-Link - June Journalist's book on Kim Dotcom not 'news activity' - NZ Herald
- Out-Link - 2012 Search and Surveillance: an occasional series • Legal Beagle • Public Address
Confession time. All those anonymous sources you see quoted in the media: me. I am every anonymous source. I am also every anonymous twitter account, but you know me best as every anonymous source. More>>
- Association of Salaried Medical Specialists - Hate merchants at it again with smear tactics
- Out-Link - New Zealand elections: dirty tricks helped John Key win another term | Nicky Hager | Comment is free | theguardian.com
- TV3 Video - Key: Ede's resignation 'the right call'
- Out-Link - Sunlight Resistance • OnPoint • Public Address
- Out-Link - Making things slightly better | The Dim-Post
- Out-Link - Pam Corkery: Some reporters puffed up with egomania - National - NZ Herald News
2,100 people have signed their name to a full-page open letter featuring in the New Zealand Herald this Wednesday [17/9/14]. The letter is designed to send a message to politicians that dirty politics is an important election issue.
Lead by members of ActionStation - a progressive, member-lead campaigning organisation - the letter is in the form of a full-page advert, the cost of which was crowd-funded and raised over eight thousand dollars. More>>
- ActionStation - Parties sent home with report cards
- Image Out-Link - ActionStation on Twitter
- Out-Link - Wendyl Nissen: Tuning out: Dirty Politics and the blogs - National - NZ Herald News
- Out-Link - Toby Manhire: We'll laugh about this ... in 50 years - Toby Manhire - NZ Herald - NZ Herald News
10 Sept - Protesters Demand: “No More Dirty Politics”
Earlier: Grassroots Protest Outside Parliament Tomorrow
A group of 33 senior population health researchers and practitioners have made public a letter they sent to the Prime Minister last week calling for an investigation into the apparent serious conflicts of interest on the Board of the Health Promotion Agency.
Board member, Katherine Rich, who is CEO of the Food and Grocery Council, has been at the centre of controversy because of evidence in Nicky Hager’s book ‘Dirty Politics’ that she has been denigrating and undermining population health professionals. More>>
- Labour - National’s dirty politics at play in Pacific community
- ACT - The Letter 8 Sep 2014
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: Keyhole surgery for voters
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: The Rats ruining our restaurants
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: Only so much you can take
- Cameron Slater takes court case on hacker documents: Judgments and reasons - No interim injunction against media - Injunction against hacker
- TV3 Video - Whale Oil drops injunction bid
- LiveNews.co.nz - Investigation: National’s Campaign Flying Blind – What National Fears Most and Where It Is Most Vulnerable
- Public Address - Privacy and the Public Interest • Hard News
Former Leader of the Labour Party Phil Goff this morning gave evidence under oath to the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security’s Inquiry into whether security intelligence documents were leaked by John Key’s office for political purposes.
“I am today releasing my opening statement in the interests of openness and transparency,” said Mr Goff. More>>
- Inspector General of Intelligence and Security - Update on IGIS inquiry into release of NZSIS information
- Labour - More evidence of the need to clean up the system
- NZ Election Data Consortium - Dirty Politics, Mike Hosking Drive The Word Cloud
- BlacklandPR - Professional politicians at heart of 'dirty politics'
- John Bevan-Smith - New Zealand’s ethical deficit
- Public Good - An Open Government Plan developed in secrecy
- Circa Theatre - ‘Bombproof’ comedy takes capital by storm
Prime Minister John Key today announced the establishment of a Government Inquiry into allegations regarding Hon Judith Collins and a former Director of the Serious Fraud Office, Adam Feeley. More>>
- Greens - National cannot investigate themselves - John Key attempts to whitewash Collins inquiry
- Public Service Association - Collins inquiry at best a Band-Aid, a permanent fix needed
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle cartoon: No reason to get touchy-Feeley
Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>
- NZ Govt - PM announces further details of inquiry
- Elizabeth Beattie - David Parker Stand Up: Judith Collins inquiry, John Key
- Labour - Cunliffe: Letter to John Key and Commission of Inquiry TOR
- Matthew Hooton - Personal Statement by Matthew Hooton
- Out-Link - Will an inquiry make it all better? | Pundit
- TV3 Video - Hacker: Slater, Collins Facebook messages authentic - Journos 'soul-searching' after latest Dirty Politics leaks - Growing concern for National's campaign
Sept 3 Polls:
- Mediaworks - Key Rises in Latest Poll Despite Problems
- NZ Election Data Consortium - Roy Morgan Poll September 3
- NZ Election Data Consortium - National, Labour Hit As Greens Rise In Latest RM Poll
- BusinessDesk - Labour-Greens closing on National in latest Roy Morgan poll
Gordon Campbell: On John Key’s ‘blame It On Judith’ Strategy
Nice try, but it won’t wash. What the Dirty Politics book and other emails have revealed is a pattern of misbehavior that has involved the SIS, ACC, Cabinet Ministers and staff in the Prime Minister’s office.
Meaning: it is a problem that seems to have involved the systematic misuse of government information and procedures in order to launch attacks on public servants and political opponents alike. Finally, there is email evidence that could even entail criminal behavior. More>>
- Jeremy Wilkinson - Key Holds Emergency Press Conference In Wellington
- TVNZ - Bill English: allegations against Judith Collins are serious
- Scoop Business - “Far more serious” allegations, says Key, as Collins resigns - Collins set to walk
- John Key statement - Judith Collins resigns as a Minister
- Judith Collins - Statement from Honourable Judith Collins MP
- Labour - Commission of Inquiry must have bipartisan support - Evidence against Judith Collins must be protected
- Greens - Independent Royal commission of inquiry only option for Key - National Party campaign thrown into chaos
- Image Qrious - Collins And Dirty Politics Drive The #nzpol Wordcloud
- Earlier Gordon Campbell - Gordon Campbell on the debate, and the Collins accusation
- TV3 Video - Key 'completely relaxed' about SIS hearing - The bloggers infiltrating the election campaign - Cunliffe: 'This is as bad as politics gets' - Opposition: Treat Collins' office like crime scene
Prime Minister John Key has announced that Hon Judith Collins has resigned from Cabinet... “new information suggests Ms Collins may have been engaged in discussions with a blogger in 2011 aimed at undermining the then Director of the Serious Fraud Office. Ms Collins was the Minister responsible for the SFO at the time." More>>
- Judith Collins - Statement from Honourable Judith Collins MP
- Image Saturday: Jeremy Wilkinson - Key Holds Emergency Press Conference In Wellington
- Scoop Business - “Far more serious” allegations, says Key, as Collins resigns - Collins set to walk
- TV3 Video - Collins: 'I completely refute any such inference' - Collins resignation throws campaign into disarray - Judith Collins' fall from grace - Video: Judith Collins announces resignation - Collins resigns as minister - Craig calls for code of conduct pledge - Winston 'swears' proof of Collins' plot - panel - Peters challenges Collins to sue him
Bizarre claims by Judith Collins this morning that she had been cleared of inappropriate behaviour by the Privacy Commissioner demonstrates she is too compromised to remain Justice Minister, Labour MP Grant Robertson says. More>>
A month out from the general election and ipredict traders are still forecasting National’s vote to slip below current polling levels and there is potential for it to fall further. More>>
- Image Out-Link - What share of the party vote will the National Party win at the next General Election? - iPredict
- The whale that swallowed New Zealand's election campaign | World | The Guardian
- Dirty politics: New Zealand's own House of Cards is collapsing | Antony Loewenstein | Comment is free | theguardian.com
- The hacker revealed - industries - business | Stuff.co.nz
- David Fisher: My history with Cameron Slater - National - NZ Herald News
- Conservatives want assurances on National's morals before offering confidence & supply | Pundit
- Bat, Bean, Beam: The Jane Clifton continuum
- Anne Salmond: Royal commission needed to clean up dirty politics - NZ Herald News
- Chief Ombudsman to probe ministerial offices - NZ Herald News
- Out-Link - Why the Whaledump hacker came forward - National - NZ Herald News
- Out-Link - The hacker revealed - industries - business | Stuff.co.nz
In a press conference immediately following an controversial OIA release of notes on an SIS briefing to then Labour leader Phil Goff, Key said "at that point [Tucker] told me he'd release it ...". Since the release of Nicky Hager's 'Dirty Politics' Key has denied being personally informed and said references by officials to 'the PM' being told briefed referred to his office. He now says the same about his own statement. More>>
At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>
The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...
“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>
- Craig Potton Publishing - Dirty Politics - Number One Bestseller and Back in Stores
- Labour - Political staff should give answers under oath - Inquiry into SIS disclosures the right decision - Collins’ actions were wrong, not unwise
- Greens - Key must come clean over SIS - Green Party welcomes watchdog inquiry into dirty politics
- Maritime Union of NZ - Maritime Union continues to press over dirty politics
- Ngapuhi - Ngapuhi Chair Says Enough of the Political Sideshow
- Out-Link - The SIS OIA | The Dim-Post
- Out-Link - EPISTO! - Matthew R. X. Dentith | Dirty Politics
- Out-Link - Hacker releases more of Slater's conversations - National - NZ Herald News
- TV3 Video - 'Explosive' SIS letter - a threat to Brand Key? - SIS letter shows Key knew about Slater's OIA documents - Dirty Politics: John Key faces pressure - Video: Key didn't know Collins passed info to Slater - Judith Collins cops flak for naming Christchurch street after friend - Farrar makes changes to Kiwiblog after Dirty Politics
- Martin Doyle - Cartoon: Little Tommy Tucker
- Branko Marcetic - The attacks on Nicky Hager and their flaws
When future historians seek to identify the exact
moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the
downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon
Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report.
Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy
When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report.
In particular, they’ll cite the broken record moment when Espiner repeatedly asked Key whether he thought the behaviour of his Justice Minister Judith Collins was OK, and Key kept on trying to ignore the question…
couldn’t or wouldn’t answer the question, choosing
instead to repeatedly bluster about Nicky Hager’s motives
for writing his book, Dirty Politics. More>>
- The Slightly Correct Political Show - Nicky Hager's first public comment on police investigation
- Labour - State servants behave with more integrity than their masters - Key must sack Collins over abhorrent actions
- Greens - PM must take action over Collins’ Whale Oil leak
- iPredict - iPredict 2014 Election Update #31: Nats take hit
- Image via Out-Link - Twitter / DirtyPoliticsNZ: The PM's gaffes with ...
- Audio Out-Link - Prime Minister stands by minister and staff | Morning Report 18/8/14
- Steven Price Out-Link - Did Nicky Hager “make stuff up”? | Media Law Journal
- The Civilian: Out-Link - John Key not concerned about Hager allegations that Judith Collins killed a man - Cunliffe releases explosive emails that suggest he has a sense of humour
- Out-Link - Social media election | The Dim-Post
- David Farrar Out-Link - Some changes for Kiwiblog
- Out-Link - We can do better than this • Hard News • Public Address
- Out-Link - At The End Of The Day (Bassnectar Version) by dj-pups on SoundCloud
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: Doing Justice to the Election
- TV3 Video - Opposition: Time running out for Judith Collins - Slater's 'feral' post still resonates with victim's family - Why is the Prime Minister standing by Collins? - National, Whale Oil behind sneaky MP photos - Dirty Politics revelations provoke media's ire
MORE AT: 'Dirty Politics' Cartoons: Whale Comes Home To Roost - Spike Mountjoy
Judith Collins’ admission that she was involved in a baseless smear campaign against a public servant is more than enough reason for John Key to sack her as a Minister, especially as she is on her ‘last warning’, said Labour MP Grant Robertson,
claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book
was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit
that she did send information about a Ministerial Services
staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless
smear campaign. More>>
- The Nation - Lisa Owen Interviews Nicky Hager, Phil Goff & Metiria Turei - Lisa Owen Interviews Whale Oil Blogger Cameron Slater
- TVNZ - Q+A Nicky Hager: my source may release the raw data
- Labour - Time for John Key to answer yes or no questions - Key must clarify who signed out SIS OIA - Key must name National Party staffer - PM’s Denial at Odds with National Party Statement
- NZ First - Winston Peters: When Spin Runs Thin - Book Opens Door to Prime Minister’s Office
- NZ Independent Coalition - Party politics well past its Use-By date
- Internet Party - Kim Dotcom: Hacking Accusation a Diversion
- The Howard League for Penal Reform - Howard League Taking Advice On Dirty Politics" Allegation
- Building Services Contractors - BSC president demands answers on Hager book claims
- Public Service Association - Collins must resign for leaking public servants’ details
- Timothy Crescent - Some Perspective on Dirty Politics
- Grant Duncan - Opinion: A review of Dirty Politics
- Daphne Lawless - The Whale Oil leaks: Anti-politics from above
- Ben Peterson - Dirty Politics: The politics, not the dirt is the problem
- Spike Mountjoy - 'Dirty Politics' Cartoons: Whale Comes Home To Roost
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle Cartoon: Big Hager is watching you
- Out-Link - Some changes for Kiwiblog
- Out-Link - Hacker release shows links to PM staffer - NZ Herald News - Revealed: Slater's messages with former prostitute - NZ Herald News
- Out-Link - Guyon Espiner interview John Key - Morning Report
- Out-Link - PM: I should have known senior advisor accessed Labour data - TVNZ
- Out-Link - ONE News Colmar Brunton Poll - 'Dirty Politics' snap poll
- Out-Link - Confidential information: the legal rights and wrongs • Speaker • Public Address
- Out-Link - Cash for comment and New Zealand’s MOD squad | Griffin’s Gadgets
- Out-Link - The Ruminator :: The Official Information Act, Cam and me
- Out-Link - Did Nicky Hager “make stuff up”? | Media Law Journal
- Out-Link - Andrew Geddis: Cri du cœur | Pundit
- Out-Link - Duncan Garner: Dirtiest election campaign ever - and mud sticks - Articles - Duncan Garner - Shows - RadioLIVE
- Out-Link - Bat, Bean, Beam: Of journalism and monsters
- TV3 Video - Key: Left-wing has 'given up' arguing policy - 'Whaledump' account to leak more documents - Collins gave job to Whale Oil tipster - Full interview: Judith Collins on Aaron Bhatnagar - Key dogged by Dirty Politics - National only 1 or 2 percent from losing - Gower - Key backing Collins over Dirty Politics - New political poll a reality check for National - Kim Dotcom denies Cameron Slater's hacking allegations - Slater: Death threats over 'Dirty Politics' - Cunliffe ups the ante on National - Nicky Hager book: Cameron Slater defends Judith Collins - Dirty Politics 'points out' Key's relationship with Slater - Panel
Scoop News: So
this book, then. Fire away.
Prime Minister John Key, Probably: Well you have to remember Nicky Hager is a well-known conspiracy theorist.
SN: In that he is presenting evidence of people conspiring, secretly, to do things?
PMJK,P: Exactly. Point proven.
SN: Some of which sound illegal.
PM: They don't sound illegal to me.
SN: Why not?
PM: I'm not listening.
Martin Doyle cartoon: Dirty politics
ALSO: Martin Doyle cartoon: (Book) Sorrows and Joyce
Martin Doyle Cartoon: Big Hager is watching you
Call me old-fashioned, but ad
hominem attacks have almost seemed the last refuge of a
scoundrel. That doesn’t mean you can’t reach a
conclusion or make a judgement call – but you need to be
guided by the evidence. More>>
- Image - Tim Denee, designer & illustrator
- Gordon Campbell - Gordon Campbell on Nicky Hager’s new book
- Lyndon Hood - Laundering Dirty Politics
- Wellington.Scoop - Dirty Politics: Nicky Hager’s new book on the Key Government launched at Unity
- Scoop Business - Hager links PM, Whaleoil in pre-election Dirty Politics book
- Images & Audio Anne Russell - Launch of Nicky Hager book: Dirty Politics
- Labour - Time Key took responsibility for Collins - Labour seeks legal advice on Hager evidence - Key has serious questions to answer on Dirty Politics
- Greens - Green Party to lodge official complaints
- NZ First - A Dark Day in New Zealand Politics
- MANA Movement - Dear John - Time to Answer a Few Questions
- ACT - Nicky Hager Has Found Out Politicians Speak to the Media
- Internet Party - ‘Dirty Politics’ Shows Absence of Moral Compass
- Public Service Association - Disturbing that PM’s office helped attack public servants
- Public Good - Lower enrolment levels: practical impact of dirty politics?
- WORD Christchurch Writers and Readers Festival - Nicky Hager to Discuss Freedom of Information at the Word
- Maritime Union of NZ - Hager investigation has revealed Ports of Auckland agenda
- Newspaper Publishers Association - Newspaper publishers rebuff attacks on Canon
- TV3 Video - Dirty Politics 'insults the public's intelligence' - Joyce - Judith Collins silent about Dirty Politics allegations - Nicky Hager book causes political muck to fly - Video: John Key talks Nicky Hager's Dirty Politics - Dirty Politics: Greens lay complaint with police - Cameron Slater: Nicky Hager's Dirty Politics claims a 'lie' - New Zealand needs to know "the other side of Key" - Nicky Hager - Nicky Hager's new book 'Dirty Politics' will 'shock readers' - Nicky Hager book shows National's 'dirty politics'
- Martin Doyle - Martin Doyle cartoon: Dirty politics
- Whale Oil Out-Links - Apparently, shock, horror, politics is dirty - I love the smell of Napalm in the morning - I resent Hagar... - Hagers Book - Part 2 - Hager's Book
- Kiwiblog Out-Links - I’ve either been hacked or spied on - Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to interview people before publishing? - Dirty Politics - The Hager book
- The Dim-Post Out-Link - Dirty Politics Summary - Two points about Cameron Slater. First: Who reads this?
- Polity Out-Link - Dirty politics: My 2c
- Pundit Out-Link - A crazy day in dirty ol' NZ politics
- Public Address Out-Link - Confidential information: the legal rights and wrongs • Speaker
- Branko Marcetic - When John Key was concerned about dirty politics
The simple antidote to all this ad hominem abuse is to read the book. I doubt that many people who do read the book – and especially the emails that provide the bulk of its narrative – will feel very happy about how politics is being conducted in this country right now. That’s the thing. Hager hasn’t needed to clothe the content in a conspiracy theory: the emails speak very eloquently for themselves. More>>
Approximately 300 people gathered at Unity Books for the launch of Nicky Hager’s new book Dirty Politics: How attack politics is poisoning New Zealand’s political environment.
The book details
the extent of political dealings between the Key
administration and members of the right-wing blogosphere.
Hager reveals that certain media events that appeared to be
isolated instances of scandal were in fact part of a
systematic effort by National to create political smears
against their opponents. More>>