Parliament

Gordon Campbell | Parliament TV | Parliament Today | Video | Questions Of the Day | Search

 

Bridges already confused about policy costings

Hon Grant Robertson

Minister of Finance

31 January 2019 PĀNUI PĀPĀHO

MEDIA STATEMENT


Simon Bridges has added to confusion about the costings of National’s tax policy today, and needs to clear up how much New Zealanders would get and how the plan would be paid for, Finance Minister Grant Robertson says.

“National have published two different numbers inside two days for how much someone on the average wage would get under the policy. On Wednesday, it was $430 a year. By Thursday, that had fallen to $400, according to Simon Bridges’ Magic op-ed – a 7% difference.

“Yesterday, someone on the average wage was going to get over $8 a week. Now, it’s less than $7.70, according to National’s new numbers.

“Simon Bridges’ policy is deflating before our very eyes.

“National also appear confused about how much the policy will cost. When the Magic op-ed was initially published, Bridges the plan would cost both $650 million and $750 million – a 15% difference within three paragraphs.

“Ever since Bill English left, National haven’t been able to cost their policies. When Simon Bridges announced his classroom size policy last year, he didn’t have any idea of how much it would cost. Six months later, National still haven’t shown us the money.

“There must be a spreadsheet somewhere.

“Alongside promising dozens of new roads while cutting the funding source to pay for them, and wild promises on debt targets and social spending, these confused costings will leave New Zealanders questioning National’s numbers.

“There are some simple questions for Simon Bridges to answer: How are you going to pay for this, and what services will be cut to do so? Until New Zealanders receive answers, these are just reckless and empty promises,” Grant Robertson said.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Welfare: More Measures To Help Those Facing Homelessness

The Government has announced additional measures to prevent and reduce homelessness focused on ensuring at-risk individuals and whānau have access to stable housing and continue to stay housed.

Associate Minister of Housing, Kris Faafoi, and Minister of Social Development, Carmel Sepuloni, have announced $54 million in Government funding for initiatives which will support at-risk individuals and whānau to stay in their existing tenancies.

The funding will also provide additional wrap around services. More>>

 

Corrections: New Strategy On Māori Reoffending And imprisonment

Authentic co-design with Māori, incorporating a Te Ao Māori worldview, and greater connectedness with whānau are key elements of Hōkai Rangi, Corrections’ new departmental strategy designed to address the long-term challenge of Māori reoffending and imprisonment. More>>

ALSO:

Pacific Island Forum: Australia v Everyone Else On Climate Action

Traditionally, communiques capture the consensus reached at the meeting. In this case, the division on display between Australia and the Pacific meant the only commitment is to commission yet another report into what action needs to be taken. More>>

ALSO:

Unscoped Or Missed Damage: Resolution For Canterbury Owners Of On-Sold Homes

People with over-cap on-sold* properties in Canterbury can now apply for a Government payment so they can get on and repair their homes. More>>

ALSO:

Hamilton-Auckland: First Urban Growth Partnership Signed

New Zealand’s first urban growth partnership between the Government, local councils and mana whenua was signed at a meeting of mayors, chairs and ministers in Hampton Downs today. More>>

ALSO:

Vote On Action Next Week: Secondary Principals Walk From Negotiations

“Unfortunately we consider there is no further value in continuing negotiations at this point. The government has not been able to table an offer that will be acceptable to our members.” More>>

Patrol Car Stolen, Glocks Taken: Manhunt In Gore

The driver rammed the patrol car before fleeing on foot with Police chasing, also on foot. The man has then circled back around, stolen the patrol vehicle, which had the keys left in it, and rammed another Police car... Two Police-issued Glock pistols were stolen. More>>

ALSO:

"Shocking And Dangerous": Accused Mosque Shooter's Prison Letter Posted Online

The man accused of the Christchurch mosque attacks has sent seven letters from prison and had two others withheld, Corrections Minister Kelvin Davis says. Corrections has now blocked the accused gunman from sending or receiving mail... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels